none
Cannot change password through the usual way if the user is registered in FIM self-service password RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have a test lab with FIM with Inbound and Outbound Synch and the self-service password reset working.

The users can register themselves at the "FIM self-service password" and reset their own password by answering 3 questions.

Now, if the user is not registered in the FIM Self-service password, he can change his password through the ctrl+alt+supr menu, but if the user is registered in the FIM Self-service password, he only can reset the password by using the service of FIM (by answering the 3 questions).

When the user is registered in FIM password, if he pushes Ctrl+Alt+Del and click in "change password" and type a new password, the system displays the message "Unable to update the password.  The value provided for the new password does not meet the length, complexity, or history requirements of the domain".

1) I log in with the user USERONE in WIN7 Pro and change the password through the usual way without problems. (Before register USERONE in FIM)

2) I log in with the same user in the same PC and registered that user in "FIM Self-Service Password".

3) I try to change the password with the traditional way and the system displays the message "Unabled to..."

4) I try to change the password with the FIM Service, and I can do it without errors or messages

This occurs with all users in all PCs, even as there's no GPO enforcing password requirements

• Edited by loyolajavi Wednesday, October 3, 2012 5:58 PM
    Wednesday, October 3, 2012 5:37 PM

Answers

• Thanks Paul for answering me, I checked what you told me and was with the same configuration at the DC. The problem was I had the "minimum password age" set to 1 day.

Thanks again

Javier

• Marked as answer by loyolajavi Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:05 PM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:05 PM

All replies

• My understanding is that there can be a domain level GPO to enforce complexity requirements and local computer policy that can have it set as well.

I ran into this issue with my lab environment due to the fact that it was turned on locally (therefore you can't traditionally set it if it doesn't meet complexity requirements but "Admins" can reset it to whatever value to bypass complexity requirements)

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 7:01 PM
  • Thanks Paul for answering me, I checked what you told me and was with the same configuration at the DC. The problem was I had the "minimum password age" set to 1 day.

Thanks again

Javier

• Marked as answer by loyolajavi Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:05 PM
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:05 PM