How to do a Leave Policy sharepoint Project? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am new in sharepoint, I want to implement leave policy project in sharepoint.

My question is that-

From Database side-

For maintaining the database, should I create database in SQL Server or Sharepoint List is ok for this?

From User Interface side-

Should I use Sharepoint list or External Web part?

If I will use SharePoint Lists, then it will provide interface to add, delete and edit the record.

Plz suggest me what approach I should use , for user Interface also - External web part or Sharepoint list.

Thanks in advance.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, September 9, 2011 11:04 AM Title changed to question
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, September 9, 2011 11:04 AM Not a programming question (From:SharePoint - Development and Programming (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, September 9, 2011 7:17 AM

Answers

• >Means can we do calculation while inserting or deleting data in sharepoint list.

What kind of calculation you want? Sharepoint supports calculation column, where you can do arithmetic operations. As we don't know about your requirements so first you have to elaborate your requirement bit more.

By the way, here is msdn link for your information. read all the features of calculated field and then analyse your requirements.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb862071.aspx

Hope it could help

Cheers, Hemendra-MCTS "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Friday, September 16, 2011 6:32 AM
    Friday, September 9, 2011 11:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First of all can you please explain in some detail as to what your project requirement is.

Now as you asked that how should you maintain data in SharePoint. Here I would like to explain that whatever you store in a list gets stored in a the content database that is linked to your web application. So when you create a new list, automatically that creates a new record in content database for that particlular list in AllLists table in the database.

I would suggest you to first of all look at the following links that will give you an idea as to what happens behind the scene when you try to create a list, a page or in general what happens to the data in sharepoint and how it gets stored.

http://alectang.com/Blog/Archive/2010/04/07/How-Sharepoint-stores-User-Data.aspx

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070820094004AAoMWW9

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd624759(v=office.11).aspx

These will help you understand that how data gets stored in sharepoint and will clear your first question.

As far as the user interface is concerned it will be more clear if you can provide some details as to what is your requirement. In case you have approvals required in case a person requests for a leave then you can attach a workflow to your list and all.

It will depend upon your business requirement.

Hope it helps !

Regards,

Geetanjali

Friday, September 9, 2011 9:11 AM
  • Hi,

>For maintaining the database, should I create database in SQL Server or Sharepoint List is ok for this?

No need to create database if your requirement is fulfilling by list. Basically generic list is good enough to save any kind of data.

>Should I use Sharepoint list or External Web part?

you can use sharepoint list only if you don't have any concern about look and feel.

>If I will use SharePoint Lists, then It will provide interface to add, delete and edit the record.

YES, it will provide all the options but you can break the permission and can assign the permission to user based on their role. So don't worry about the permission and you can handle this at site level later on.

Hope it can help

Friday, September 9, 2011 10:30 AM
  • Thanks for your replay, I actually I have worked with sharepoint list, but I didn't done any calculation at the time of adding and deleting item in sharepoint list.

Now we have requirement of this because for maintaining leave records.

so In this time we should use custom web part (designed with visual studio) or Sharepoint list is ok.

Means can we do calculation while inserting or deleting data in sharepoint list.

Friday, September 9, 2011 10:58 AM
  • Thanks for your replay, I actually I have worked with sharepoint list, but I didn't done any calculation at the time of adding and deleting item in sharepoint list.

Now we have requirement of this because for maintaining leave records.

so In this time we should use custom web part (designed with visual studio) or Sharepoint list is ok.

Means can we do calculation while inserting or deleting data in sharepoint list.

Friday, September 9, 2011 10:58 AM
  • >Means can we do calculation while inserting or deleting data in sharepoint list.

What kind of calculation you want? Sharepoint supports calculation column, where you can do arithmetic operations. As we don't know about your requirements so first you have to elaborate your requirement bit more.

By the way, here is msdn link for your information. read all the features of calculated field and then analyse your requirements.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb862071.aspx

Hope it could help

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Friday, September 16, 2011 6:32 AM
    Friday, September 9, 2011 11:47 AM
  • Hi Jitendra,

I suppose that it's gonna be an APPROVAL type of Leave Policy stuff . If yes, then it's better to go with InfoPath forms which can be attached to a workflow which'll route the requests to it's corresponding individuals.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards
    Talib Ali Khan | MCTS | http://onlineasp.net
    Monday, September 12, 2011 1:01 PM