Lexmark X4650 scanner on Vista device driver corrupted code 39 RRS feed

• Question

• The scanner on my HP 3-1 printer suddently stopped working, I used the 'windows fax and scan' software. In Device Manager - Imaging Device - i found the following  message 'Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)'

So I bought and installed a Lexmark X4650 printer/scanner and i am getting the same message (the printer works fine).

I have reloaded the drivers 3 times but Lexmak say its the Vista O/S not there drivers

Help!

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 3:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This behavior occurs if incompatible drivers exist. I suggest that you remove all existed scanner related components, and then reinstall the whole printer.

Remove scanner related components.

===============================

1. Unplug all cables from the scanner and the scanner cable from the computer

2. Click "Start", type "APPWIZ.CPL" (without quotation marks) and press the "Enter" key.

3. Highlight any software or program related to the scanner and click "Change/Remove" to remove the driver.

4. Click "Start", type "DEVMGMT.MSC" (without quotation marks) and press the Enter key.

The operation requires administrative privileges, please click "Continue" when the User Account Control dialog-box appears.

5. Click "View" and select "Show hidden devices".

6. Click the "+" next to “Imaging Devices”. This will show all Imaging Devices previously and currently connected to the computer.

7. Right-click on the Scanner Band scanner name and left-click on “Uninstall”. If the scanner is listed more than one time, uninstall all occurrences of the scanner.

8. If you see “Other Devices” in the device manager list, click on the “+” to view the list of Other Devices.

9. Right-click on the other device and left-click on “Uninstall” from the list. The scanner may be listed as any of the following:

- USB Scanner

- USB Device

- Unknown Device

- 1200 DPI Scanner

- (Your Scanner Model)

10. Reboot the computer.

Then, remove the printers.

Remove printer.

1. Click the "Start" button, type PRINTER in the search box and press Enter.

2. Find the icons which are related to HP 3-1 and Lexmark X4650, delete them.

3. Right-click on the blank part of the window, and choose "Run as administrator"->"Server Properties".

4. On the Drivers tab, select the listed printer and click the Remove button. Please then select Remove driver and driver package.

5. Open Start menu, input APPWIZ.CPL in the Search box and press ENTER to launch "Programs and Features".

6. Try to remove all related printer software.

Please then reinstall the driver.

If the issue still occurs, please follow the steps below to check if there is any incompatible filter drivers. 

1. Click "Start", go to "Run", type in "regedit" and press "Enter".

2. Locate the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

3. Right click the {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} entry, choose "Export" and save it as a backup.

4. In the right pane, check and delete values "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters.

Please restart and check the result.

Friday, October 31, 2008 6:50 AM
  • Hi,

How does it work when you try to scan with the software that came with the device? Have you found any filter drivers? Is there any error message when you remove the drivers for both devices? Additionally, is there any error for the scanners in Device Manager? If so, is the error code 39 either?

If you have installed any scanning related programs, please remove it temporary. Then check the result. If the issue persists, I suggest that you temporary disable the anti-virus and firewall program. Then check the issue again.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This behavior occurs if incompatible drivers exist. I suggest that you remove all existed scanner related components, and then reinstall the whole printer.

Remove scanner related components.

1. Unplug all cables from the scanner and the scanner cable from the computer

2. Click "Start", type "APPWIZ.CPL" (without quotation marks) and press the "Enter" key.

3. Highlight any software or program related to the scanner and click "Change/Remove" to remove the driver.

4. Click "Start", type "DEVMGMT.MSC" (without quotation marks) and press the Enter key.

The operation requires administrative privileges, please click "Continue" when the User Account Control dialog-box appears.

5. Click "View" and select "Show hidden devices".

6. Click the "+" next to “Imaging Devices”. This will show all Imaging Devices previously and currently connected to the computer.

7. Right-click on the Scanner Band scanner name and left-click on “Uninstall”. If the scanner is listed more than one time, uninstall all occurrences of the scanner.

8. If you see “Other Devices” in the device manager list, click on the “+” to view the list of Other Devices.

9. Right-click on the other device and left-click on “Uninstall” from the list. The scanner may be listed as any of the following:

- USB Scanner

- USB Device

- Unknown Device

- 1200 DPI Scanner

- (Your Scanner Model)

10. Reboot the computer.

Then, remove the printers.

Remove printer.

1. Click the "Start" button, type PRINTER in the search box and press Enter.

2. Find the icons which are related to HP 3-1 and Lexmark X4650, delete them.

3. Right-click on the blank part of the window, and choose "Run as administrator"->"Server Properties".

4. On the Drivers tab, select the listed printer and click the Remove button. Please then select Remove driver and driver package.

5. Open Start menu, input APPWIZ.CPL in the Search box and press ENTER to launch "Programs and Features".

6. Try to remove all related printer software.

Please then reinstall the driver.

If the issue still occurs, please follow the steps below to check if there is any incompatible filter drivers. 

1. Click "Start", go to "Run", type in "regedit" and press "Enter".

2. Locate the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}

3. Right click the {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000} entry, choose "Export" and save it as a backup.

4. In the right pane, check and delete values "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters.

Please restart and check the result.

Friday, October 31, 2008 6:50 AM
  • Thank you Arthur for that unfortunately it hasn't resolved the issue.

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 3:43 PM
  • Hi,

How does it work when you try to scan with the software that came with the device? Have you found any filter drivers? Is there any error message when you remove the drivers for both devices? Additionally, is there any error for the scanners in Device Manager? If so, is the error code 39 either?

If you have installed any scanning related programs, please remove it temporary. Then check the result. If the issue persists, I suggest that you temporary disable the anti-virus and firewall program. Then check the issue again.

Thursday, November 13, 2008 9:46 AM
  • Exact same problem here with any of my scanners. Cardscan 60, running vista 32 bit. No scanner detected, error code 39. And my Canon scanner that is certified for vista = same issue. 

Note both these peripherals work on my other laptop #2, so there is some issue depending on the computer. All other programs work on laptop #1... only the scanners Vista cannot work with. Very annoying. 
    Monday, December 15, 2008 5:58 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried to clear the driver for the device and reinstall the driver.

I suggest that when you install the driver, right-click and choose Run as administrator. Also please make sure that the anti-virus is disabled.

Artxie
    Monday, December 15, 2008 9:48 AM