Change the Shut Down menu RRS feed

• Question

• Hai everyone!

I have a question about the shutdown menu.

Since when is "Switching Users" considered [Shutting Down]?

I could not Google how to "Modify shut down menu".
    No matter how I phrase it, I always get "Removing Switch Users" guides.

Is there a way to make it [Like Before on XP]?
    Or at least set up more logically! Big Smile

I saw guides that show how to remove the switch users & make shortcuts to it.  I do not want that. [that is what the Log Off/Shut Down buttons in the start menu was made for]

Remember that XP has it in this setup:
    Log Off/Switch User: Takes you to the Log In screen to log in to another account.

Standby/Hibernate/Shut Down/Restart: [hold Shift for Hibernate] Turns off the computer at least once.

The setup in XP = Makes sense.

The setup in Vista = teh suck
    I didnt even know there was "Switch User" in Vista until NOW! [noooo!]

Does anyone know how to change the view?
    Other than a few bugs, Vista is cool.

Thanks for reading.
    Friday, December 5, 2008 5:15 AM

Answers

• RC, your links don't work.  "page cannot be displayed."  Try again?

Now, comparing my XP box to the Vista box, I'm not sure that I see your issue.
    XP:
    The start menu has two buttons at the bottom right:  "log off" and "shutdown"
    Log off, switch user (if FUS is enabled), and lock are in 'log off'; we know what's in 'shut down'.
    Vista:
    The start menu also has two buttons at the bottom right:  "shut down" (which can be customized in your power options), and Lock.  There's also an arrow that, if you hover over it, opens a pop-up menu that contains all of the options that, in XP, were spread between two different dialog boxes (the 'log off' and 'shut down' dialogs.)
    Frankly, I think that the new one's simpler - everything is in one place.

Unless maybe something is missing in that pop-up menu on your Vista machine?

• Proposed as answer by Sean Zhu -Moderator Friday, December 12, 2008 6:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, December 26, 2008 8:12 AM
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 6:26 PM

All replies

• I assume you mean the brown/red power button?

If so, go to the Windows Orb (Start), type cmd and press Enter. Now type POWERCFG.CPL ,1 (the capitals are for clarity only) and press Enter.

Expand ‘Power buttons and lid’. Alongside both ‘Power button action’ and ‘Start menu power button’, click the blue wording drop down menu (2 of them for laptops) and select Shut Down.

In future, to shut down just click the Windows Orb (Start) then the power (red) button.

Any changes that you make can be reversed by clicking ‘Restore plan defaults‘. The changes are for the plan currently in use.

Friday, December 5, 2008 3:04 PM
  • Thanks for replying, BurrWalnut.
    That isnt what I was looking for.

I included pictures in my 1st post...
    Ohh ***, I didnt know you had to log in.

Let me try that again.
    [Picture 1]

[Picture 2]

• Proposed as answer by lopkijn Sunday, December 6, 2009 10:01 PM
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 2:23 AM
  • RC, your links don't work.  "page cannot be displayed."  Try again?

Now, comparing my XP box to the Vista box, I'm not sure that I see your issue.
    XP:
    The start menu has two buttons at the bottom right:  "log off" and "shutdown"
    Log off, switch user (if FUS is enabled), and lock are in 'log off'; we know what's in 'shut down'.
    Vista:
    The start menu also has two buttons at the bottom right:  "shut down" (which can be customized in your power options), and Lock.  There's also an arrow that, if you hover over it, opens a pop-up menu that contains all of the options that, in XP, were spread between two different dialog boxes (the 'log off' and 'shut down' dialogs.)
    Frankly, I think that the new one's simpler - everything is in one place.

Unless maybe something is missing in that pop-up menu on your Vista machine?

• Proposed as answer by Sean Zhu -Moderator Friday, December 12, 2008 6:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Song Friday, December 26, 2008 8:12 AM
    Saturday, December 6, 2008 6:26 PM
  • Well, since you know what I am talking about, I dont have to fix the picture.

I am using the classic start menu, so my view is not the same as Vista.

For me, I rather not have a drop down list, nor a 1 click button that I will for sure accidentally click.
    [attempting to click "Run", for example.
    It kills everything that is running]

I rather have 2 separate buttons being "Log Off" & "Shutdown", then either button bringing up a one-click button menu.

I'm just wishfully thinking, so probably no chance of that happening.
    T~T
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 1:35 AM