none
Setting and displaying multiply baselines RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone suggest a good text book or online resource that covers using multiply baselines.  A text that explains when and why you might want to use multiple baselines with practical step by step exercises would be ideal. I often have students asking me about multiply baselines and while I know how to apply them and insert the required columns I'm less sure of when and why you would do it.  Also can you display multiple baselines in a tracking gantt?  I know there is a multiple baseline gantt but this does not display the actual project against the baselines ( as far as I am aware anyway!)

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thursday, March 22, 2012 11:44 PM

Answers

• Fitzhay,

Multiple baselines are utilized rarely but they do come in handy in larger projects, which could have gone through re-baselining due to significant scope changes.  You can display multiple baselines in the tracking Gantt (or any other Gantt view for that matter).  Using the bar styles dialog box you can add or remove schedule baseline information as needed, as well as adding the current, planned task information as well.

When they are available, I use multiple baselines in my work as a forensic PM when doing an autopsy on a project.

Hope this helps.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

• Marked as answer by fitzhay Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:43 AM
    Friday, March 23, 2012 5:13 AM
  • Use of baselines is driven by your project governance needs. These say when a baseline is taken, whose agreement is required etc. Some projects only ever save one baseline. Some update one baseline when new tasks are added and some save an extra baseline after each phase and so on.

There isn't a book on this, so do what supports organisational governance and project methodology.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management

Friday, March 23, 2012 2:34 AM

All replies

• Use of baselines is driven by your project governance needs. These say when a baseline is taken, whose agreement is required etc. Some projects only ever save one baseline. Some update one baseline when new tasks are added and some save an extra baseline after each phase and so on.

There isn't a book on this, so do what supports organisational governance and project methodology.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management

Friday, March 23, 2012 2:34 AM
  • Fitzhay,

Multiple baselines are utilized rarely but they do come in handy in larger projects, which could have gone through re-baselining due to significant scope changes.  You can display multiple baselines in the tracking Gantt (or any other Gantt view for that matter).  Using the bar styles dialog box you can add or remove schedule baseline information as needed, as well as adding the current, planned task information as well.

When they are available, I use multiple baselines in my work as a forensic PM when doing an autopsy on a project.

Hope this helps.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Friday, March 23, 2012 5:13 AM
  • Thank you for taking the time to answer.  I appreciate your help.

Fitzhay

Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:45 AM
  • Thanks for taking the time to answer.  I appreciate it.

Fitzhay

Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:46 AM
  • Fitzhay,

You are most welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Thursday, March 29, 2012 3:23 PM