none
Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016 Co-Existence migration OWA redirect not working RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I am currently working on a exchange migration from 2010 to 2016 exchange server. It is a simple setup with only 1 2010 and 1 2016 exchange server.

At this stage I am testing the various co-existence parts of the migration. One of the things I tested is having OWA redirect from Exchange 2016 to Exchange 2010 when the mailbox is still on the 2010 exchange server. 

Logging in to Exchange 2016 owa using a Exchange 2016 mailbox everything is fine. However when logging on to Exchange 2016 OWA with a Exchange 2010 mailbox I get an error. The error on the page basically says "Something went wrong" and in the link it gives the error "CafeError=CAS14WithNoWIA" When searching the last error there is only one hit (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/dc3c1017-8411-4290-852a-f01e73901a86/exchange-2016-with-2010?forum=Exch2016GD) however the solution mentioned in this forum isn't working for me.

We are running Exchange 2016 Cu2 and Exchange 2010 SP3 Rollup 11 (the minimum needed as far as i know).

I have been trying various actions like changing auth. methods for both ex 2010 as ex 2016 with the result being the same. Logging in to OWA directly on Ex 2010 works fine.

Regards,

Loki

Wednesday, July 6, 2016 2:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Loki,

Welcome to our forum.

By this issue, please enable Windows authentication on Exchange 2010 OWA virtual directory, then add NTLM and Negotiate provider on Exchange 2010 OWA virtual directory, finally, restart IIS to check if the issue persist.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by loki_1989 Tuesday, July 12, 2016 7:33 AM
    Thursday, July 7, 2016 6:08 AM

All replies

• I will suggest you following this informative article which covers step-wise instruction to achieve your goal in more appropriate way - http://www.msexchange.org/articles-tutorials/exchange-2016-articles/migration-deployment/migrating-small-organization-exchange-2010-exchange-2016-part1.html

Microsoft team also provides Exchange deployment assistant which provides the directions by checking all the required prerequisites. Here you go - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/dn756393.aspx

Moreover, while it comes to migrate users mailboxes, you may also consider on this Exchange migration tool which provides hassle-free environment to get this job done without having downtime.

Thursday, July 7, 2016 5:11 AM
  • Please refer to below resources might helps you to get this job done:

Client Connectivity in an Exchange 2016 Coexistence Environment with Exchange 2010:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2015/10/26/client-connectivity-in-an-exchange-2016-coexistence-environment-with-exchange-2010/

Also check this earlier thread might helps you to get in more detailed.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/6733d949-14a0-4599-a0a1-84df59801dbd/exchange-2016-with-2010-coexistence-migrated-mailboxes-inaccessible?forum=Exch2016SD

Hope this helps!

Thursday, July 7, 2016 5:16 AM
  • Hi Loki,

Welcome to our forum.

By this issue, please enable Windows authentication on Exchange 2010 OWA virtual directory, then add NTLM and Negotiate provider on Exchange 2010 OWA virtual directory, finally, restart IIS to check if the issue persist.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu

• Marked as answer by loki_1989 Tuesday, July 12, 2016 7:33 AM
    Thursday, July 7, 2016 6:08 AM
  • Hi Loki,

Is there any update for this thread?

If the above suggestions are helpful to you, please mark it as answer so that someone who has similar issue could find this thread as soon as possible.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Jim Xu

Monday, July 11, 2016 7:49 AM
  • Hello Everyone,

Thank you very much for your replies! I was a few days out of the office so i haven't had the chance to check the proposed solutions. I will be in the office tomorrow and check If I can resolve the problem.

Will post back tomorrow.

Regards,

Loki

Monday, July 11, 2016 8:37 PM
  • Hi Loki,

Welcome to our forum.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Jim Xu

Hello Jim,

This solution has solved my problem. I already had windows auth. on OWA 2010 enabled however the NTLM and Negotiate providers weren't added to Windows Auth. in IIS. This was the missing step in order to get redirection from OWA 2016 to OWA 2010.

Thank you all very much for your help.

Regards,

Loki

Tuesday, July 12, 2016 7:35 AM
  • I had exactly the same issue, but wasn´t sure what to change (Set-OwaVirtualDirectory with WindowsAuthentication did the trick). But found the following URL here, which mentioned the needed powershell commands. This solved my issue as well. So thanks for the solution Jim :).
    • Proposed as answer by Bastian_W Friday, July 15, 2016 7:28 PM
    • Edited by Bastian_W Friday, July 15, 2016 7:30 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Bastian_W Friday, July 15, 2016 7:31 PM
    Friday, July 15, 2016 7:28 PM