Office 2010 and WSS 3.0/MOSS 2007 datasheet edit view RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Office 2010 Professional Plus 64bit on the new system (no previous installation of the office).
    All the features of the Office are checked on including Windows SharePoint services support, Microsoft Office Access Web Datasheet Components and Microsoft Foundation Support.

In the company we have MOSS 2007
    So far all integration SharePoint features are working from inside the office application - Save as, Check-in and check-out.

However when I'm trying to edit sharepoint library in the datasheet (Actions/Edit in Datasheet) I'm getting a message "This list cannot be displayed in Datasheet for one or more of the following reasons:"

I doubt that security is a factor because site is in the "local intranet".

Any ideas?
    • Moved by Michael KiselmanMicrosoft employee Monday, January 4, 2010 7:07 PM No response on the Office side - hooing somwone knows in SharePoint. (From:Microsoft Office 2010 Application Compatibility)
    Friday, December 18, 2009 9:17 PM

Answers

• Try installing the 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components after you have installed Office 2010 64-bit on the client machine. This should provide you with the edit in Datasheet functionality. Let us know how it works out.

Thanks,
    Jennie

Monday, May 10, 2010 6:24 PM
  • 1. this question should not be moved here - this is a forum for sharepoint 2010 not office 2010.
    2. 64bit office client do have this issue, they did not ship a 32bit activex control to make your IE work. This is not about sharepoint. To get around this, please manually install x86 access web components on your client computer.
    • Proposed as answer by Clayton Cobb Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by Clayton Cobb Thursday, December 2, 2010 3:28 PM
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 1:15 AM
  • The datasheet view requires components that are installed by the 32 bit version of Office.  The datasheet view won't work if the version of Office installed is the 64bit install.  If you remove the 64 bit version of Office 2010 and install the 32 bit version (which will install on a 64 bit OS) then the datasheet view will work in MOSS 2007 and SharePoint Server 2010.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    • Proposed as answer by Reeves Little - Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:45 PM
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 8:31 PM

All replies

• Maxim, thank you for your question, I will follow up and post the answer asap.
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 1:15 AM
  • I beleive WSS 3.0/MOSS 2007 requires some components from Office 2003 enterprise to support Datasheet functionality.
    I came across the same issue on the workstation with Office 2007.
    whenever we have Office 2003 installed or Office 2007 upgraded from 2003 everything is working.

It should be a way to install just those components without installing Office 2003
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 1:03 AM
  • 1. this question should not be moved here - this is a forum for sharepoint 2010 not office 2010.
    2. 64bit office client do have this issue, they did not ship a 32bit activex control to make your IE work. This is not about sharepoint. To get around this, please manually install x86 access web components on your client computer.
    • Proposed as answer by Clayton Cobb Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:50 AM
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 1:15 AM
  • > 1. this question should not be moved here - this is a forum for sharepoint 2010 not office 2010.

If Office 2010 was not still in beta it would be a WSS 3.0 / MOSS 2007 question imo, but when you have a question about the combination of a beta product and a released product, questions should always be posted in the beta product forum. So you are completely right that the MS guy in the Office 2010 should have left it where it was.

I wouldn't have complained (much) if he'd moved it to a pre-2010 SP forum provided that forum was the Setup/Admin one, though.

FAQ sites: (SP 2010) http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com; (v3) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com and (WSS 2.0) http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com
    Complete Book Lists (incl. foreign language) on each site.
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 6:42 PM
  • The datasheet view requires components that are installed by the 32 bit version of Office.  The datasheet view won't work if the version of Office installed is the 64bit install.  If you remove the 64 bit version of Office 2010 and install the 32 bit version (which will install on a 64 bit OS) then the datasheet view will work in MOSS 2007 and SharePoint Server 2010.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    • Proposed as answer by Reeves Little - Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:45 PM
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 8:31 PM
  • Is this Microsofts final answer? They can't possibly be leaving out x64 datasheet editing when it has been out for 4 some odd years now...
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:50 PM
  • Charles, I found a good article with a workaround (install Office 2007 Windows SharePoint Services Support) that I tried and it worked well for me and I am using the RTM version of Office 2010 64-bit:

Cannot Edit SharePoint 2007 List in Datasheet after Office 2010 Beta is Installed

Hope this helps.
    Malcolm

ME
    Friday, April 30, 2010 11:08 PM
  • Try installing the 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components after you have installed Office 2010 64-bit on the client machine. This should provide you with the edit in Datasheet functionality. Let us know how it works out.

Thanks,
    Jennie

Monday, May 10, 2010 6:24 PM
  • Thank you Jennie.  That worked for me.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:15 AM
  • That is freakin' awesome, Jennie.  I have Office 2010 64-bit RTM on all my machines, but I also heavily rely on Datasheet view for mass data changes/imports.  This worked instantly, thanks!

Someone should mark this as the answer for sure...

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:51 AM
  • Jennie,

Your fix worked for me as well. Though in my case, not only was I running Win7 x64 with Office Pro Plus 2010 x64, I was also experiencing the issue when accessing SharePoint 2010 Enterprise (both Office and MOSS are RTM versions). Your approach kept me from having to break out the Office 2007 media as described in the link posted by Malcolm above.

Having read the article linked above however, it brings up some interesting questions. It states that the required ActiveX component is provided by 'STSLIST.DLL', which is found in the '%programfiles%\Microsoft Office\Office14' directory if the components are installed (which they are in my case). It goes on to state that the Office 2010 version of the component is oddly unregistered, which I also found to be the case. Before finally trying your suggestion, I attempted the following steps:

1. Attempted to manually register the 'STSLIST.DLL' using regsvr32.exe (the copy in %windir%\system32, not the copy in %windir%\syswow64) which, predictably, failed.

2. Since my Office version is x64, I tried launching the x64 version of IE instead of the x32 and, while a few Office/SharePoint controls did show up (Office Document Cache Handler and Groove GFS Browser Helper), the loaded components did NOT include the controls provided by 'STSLIST.DLL' and I was still unable to edit a list in datasheet.

I finally went ahead and downloaded and installed the Data Connectivity Components linked in your post and then loaded up a fresh copy of IE. As expected, this fixed the issue and allowed me to edit the list in datasheet view. The really interesting part for me however, was that, much like the person who wrote the blog entry linked in Malcolm's response, I now also saw a bunch of other IE add-ons registered in addition to the expected Microsoft Office List component. In fact, the only Office 12 component loaded was the 'Microsoft Office List 12.0' component from the newly installed Data Connectivity Components. The other components are predominantly loaded from 'OWSSUP.DLL' from my Office 14.0 installation. For reference, the components that are now loading up as active add-ons, but weren't before I loaded the 2007 Data Connectivity Components, are as follows:

• Microsoft Office 14 Authorization Control
    • PersonalSite Class
    • NameCtrl Class
    • Office Document Cache Handler *
    • Groove GFS Browser Helper *
    • Groove Folder Synchronization *
    • SharePoint Spreadsheet Launcher
    • SharePoint Open Document Class
    • SharePoint Stssync Handler

The starred items were those that were loading up originally and the remaining items, while they previously showed up as registered add-ons in IE (except for Microsoft Office 14 Authorization Control), they did not load up as active add-ons until I installed the 2007 components. Since the Office 14 version of the DLL exists and merely won't register, I did do a quick spin around the web to see if I could find more info about registering 64 bit DLLs, but the only thing I came up with were some developer forum posts talking about creating a '.def file name in the project' before compiling because it wasn't created automatically. Not being a developer myself, that means nothing of course, but I thought I would include it.

Hopefully this information is helpful to someone.

Chris W.

Merddyn
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 2:21 PM
  • Thanks Jennie,

Another confirmed fix on Windows 7 x64, Office 2010 RTM x64...

You're a star!

Brian C | Blog Site
    Tuesday, May 25, 2010 3:14 PM
  • A KB article is now available that discusses using the 2007 Office System Driver: Data Connectivity Components as a workaround to provide the edit in Datasheet functionality. Please see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2266203 for more information.

Thanks,
    Jennie

Thursday, July 1, 2010 6:47 PM

Thanks,
    Jennie

Worked instantly after install, thanks!
    -AK
    Thursday, December 2, 2010 3:18 PM
  • I've been having this issue ever sionce I installed SQL Tools... I'm running Win7, Office 2010, and SharePoint 2010.  Out of all the other articles, all the failed attempts, THIS solution worked.  Thank you Jennie!
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:21 PM