Getting rid of XP partition after installing Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I have added a Vista installation on a separate logical partition (E:).  I also have an XP installation that is on the primary partition (C:) that I would like to get rid of to reclaim its space.  I understand the boot information is located on the primary partition, so I am reluctant to simply delete the C: partition.  Is there any way to get rid of my XP partition and make the new Vista partition my primary partition?

Thanks you for your help!

Chuck Fowler

Thursday, December 21, 2006 2:29 PM

Answers

• For sorry you can't format the C: drive as it's primary one and contains boot files for both XP and Vista and if you did, you won't be able to boot Vista's partition. If you want it to work, you have to install both XP and Vista, you must install XP first on D: or E: partition, then Vista on C: as primary one.

Good luck

Monday, December 25, 2006 10:12 AM

All replies

• For sorry you can't format the C: drive as it's primary one and contains boot files for both XP and Vista and if you did, you won't be able to boot Vista's partition. If you want it to work, you have to install both XP and Vista, you must install XP first on D: or E: partition, then Vista on C: as primary one.

Good luck

Monday, December 25, 2006 10:12 AM
  • Hi,

I have xp on my D: logical drive, and just installed vista on my C: primary system drive.  But now, even though I have a menu on boot up to select "earlier version of windows", it does not boot up my xp operating system.  Just a blank screen with blinking cursor.  Did I miss something in follwoing your advice above?  Thanks

Sunday, November 23, 2008 1:59 AM