Site types and Roles doubt RRS feed

• Question

• When I have a central site this is a site server, right? and when this site server has an other site system role her will be a site server and a site system too ?

thank you

Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Sounds right.  What's the problem?  Trying to write up some docs for others?

Thursday, September 25, 2008 5:14 PM
  •  

Every server in your SCCM setup is a "ConfigMgr Site System".

When you have installed a Primary (or Secondary) Site this is a "ConfigMgr Site Server". No matter how many roles you add to that box it still remains a Site Server, but it also becomes a "ConfigMgr Component Server".

When you install a System Role to another server that is not the "ConfigMgr Site Server", this server becomes a "ConfigMgr Component Server". Except for a Distribution Point on a Server Share this is only a "ConfigMgr Site System".

But I guess it's all semantics ...

Cheers,

Serge

Thursday, September 25, 2008 6:27 PM
  • I could be wrong, but I thought the "ConfigMgr component server" was only installed on systems that had the SMS Executive service installed. And that's why a DP wouldn't be listed as a ConfigMgr component server, as we don't install services on a remote DP.

Regardless, a site server (one per site) is the box you install Configuration Manager on. Then you might need to set up additional servers with various other site roles, making them site systems.

• Proposed as answer by Garth JonesMVP Monday, January 2, 2012 2:20 AM
    Friday, September 26, 2008 9:23 PM