none
Baseline Cost Roll-up bug? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am not entirely sure if this is a bug or I am not doing the correct steps. But the behavior seems odd.

Step 1 – Create a ‘simple’ project with a summary task, task, and a cost tracking milestone

Step 2 – Add a cost resource (local or enterprise) to the cost task

Step 3 – Baseline the entire project

Step 4 – Change the cost on the resource

Step 5 – Baseline the updated cost with 'Selected Task' and 'To all summary tasks' roll-up

Now you see all the baseline costs for the summary tasks above are ‘zeroed’ out

Step 6 – Set the duration of the cost task/milestone to 1minute (or any value other than zero). Then repeat step 4 & 5.

As can be noted it behaves as one would expect

I have a PDF/set of images I would be happy to email that detail the steps a little better, but I was limited to no images in the post as I am a 'newbie'.

Kindest regards,

Nick

• Edited by NickAgren Friday, November 23, 2012 12:00 AM
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 11:30 PM

All replies

• Nick, I could reproduce your result following your steps. A couple of additional, minor observations - Fixed costs on the task rolled up to the summary baseline correctly; the Milestone flag has no effect on the result.

I guess one reason I, for one, haven't noticed this effect in the past is that I never assign resources of any kind to zero duration tasks.

Graham

Friday, November 23, 2012 2:37 PM
  • Hi Graham,

Interesting to hear. Yes, out of context it may seem a little odd to put resource against such a task, but it is being used to track payments that are made once key milestones are reached. So it does fit (well, so we thought) reality quite nicely until we encountered this little issue.

Thanks,

Nick

Friday, November 23, 2012 7:10 PM
  • Hi 'All',

Has anyone (from Microsoft?) had a chance to confirm this is expected behavior (if so why) or if it is an issue? Does anyone have a suggested 'next step' from here?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Nick

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:22 PM
  • I've found that resources assigned to zero duration milestones have all sorts of unexpected behavior - hence it's best to just assign them to milestones only to assign responsibility.  Best workaround I've found is to just set the "milestone" to 1 minute or 1 day in duration.  You can set the Milestone flag to "yes" to get it to show up properly.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Thursday, November 29, 2012 3:10 AM
  • Thanks Andrew.

Yes we discovered that the 'some duration' work-around seems to resolve it as is highlighted in the initial steps, but I think an 'actual' fix for the issue appears to be required in the longer term.

At the moment I can't see any reason why it should behave erratically just because there is no duration, as there are valid instances where it does make sense to have a cost based on a milestone being achieved.

(Or are we starting to expose Projects 'soft underbelly' with this logic?)

Thanks again,

Nick

Friday, November 30, 2012 4:27 AM
  • Fair enough - needless to say, IMHO modeling cost in Project has always been problematic beyond certain specific use cases.  That's why we went and developed our own financial governance tool. :-)

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that specific issue to be addressed by Microsoft.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Friday, November 30, 2012 4:35 AM