Regarding Windows Update RRS feed

• Question

• In View update history, by right clicking an update we have two choices, View details, & Copy details.

I just wanted to know where I suppose to find the copy of details, and if the update is regarding an update for a driver, copy of details is it about .inf file of my driver?

Thanks…Ommide      

Saturday, July 12, 2008 4:51 AM

Answers

• Ommide

It's always best to go to the manufacturers website to download hardware drivers. It takes some time before a driver on appears Windows Update. The drivers on Windows Update come directly from the manufacture.

Going to the manufacturers website assures you that you are getting the latest driver and you can easily save the driver on your external hard drive.

Most of these drivers cannot be downloaded from the Microsoft download website, they are only available from Windows Update or the manufacturers website.

Hope this helps.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 2:56 PM

All replies

• Ommide

Each Windows Update will have a unique KB number associated with that update.

The number is in this format:  KBxxxxxx.

Note: Some updates will have a direct link to the KB article for that update in the Details. If there is no direct link, do this.

Go to this link:

Advanced KB Search:
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1

Type the KBxxxxxx number in the search box, press the Search button. In the results, click the link for that article number.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Sunday, July 13, 2008 5:30 PM
  • Actually, I have couple of cards on my computer, but the drivers that a have for them are not up to date, the manufactures of these cards ask to visit Windows update to get the latest driver for that card, and each time I download a fresh Windows I have to download them from windows update. Is there any way to download the driver to save it in my external hard drive disk for the future? (Like inf file or exe file)

To give you an Example this is one of the details that I get from windows update: 

http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20111934

I suppose having driver ID # 20111934, I have to be able to find that driver on Microsoft download website, and download it and save it in my external hard drive for the future.

Thanks James.      

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 4:08 AM
  • Ommide

It's always best to go to the manufacturers website to download hardware drivers. It takes some time before a driver on appears Windows Update. The drivers on Windows Update come directly from the manufacture.

Going to the manufacturers website assures you that you are getting the latest driver and you can easily save the driver on your external hard drive.

Most of these drivers cannot be downloaded from the Microsoft download website, they are only available from Windows Update or the manufacturers website.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Tuesday, July 15, 2008 2:56 PM