none
Unable to generate a catalog for an x86 operating system image while running on an x64 operating system ( MDT 2012 ) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have on my company a MDT2012 Server on WS2008 x64.

I have in my workbanch two DS ( Windows 7 and Windows 8 ). Inside of Windows 7 DS i have two operation System x86 and x64 and i can edit the unattend file in both systems.

However, when i go to edit the unattend file of Windows8 x86 appear the error below: ( but only in this plataform ).

"Performing operation "generate" on Target "Catalog".
    Starting: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Bin\Microsoft.BDD.Catalog35.exe" "S:\DEPLOY-WIN8\Operating Systems\Windows 8 Consumer Preview x86\Sources\install.wim" 1 > "C:\Users\bddms\AppData\Local\Temp\2\Microsoft.BDD.Catalog.log" 2>&1
    No existing catalog file found.
    PROGRESS: 0: Starting.
    PROGRESS: 0: Creating mount folder: C:\Users\bddms\AppData\Local\Temp\2\IMGMGR_install_Windows 8 Consumer Preview_iqne01qy.xtw.
    PROGRESS: 5: Creating temp folder: C:\Users\bddms\AppData\Local\Temp\2\IMGMGR_install_temp_4gfcoeo5.qdq.
    PROGRESS: 10: Mounting Windows image: S:\DEPLOY-WIN8\Operating Systems\Windows 8 Consumer Preview x86\Sources\install.wim. This might take a few minutes.
    ERROR: Unable to generate catalog on S:\DEPLOY-WIN8\Operating Systems\Windows 8 Consumer Preview x86\Sources\install.wim: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.WimImageInfo.PreCreateCatalog()
       at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.OfflineImageInfo.CreateCatalog()
       at Microsoft.BDD.Catalog.Program.DoCatalog()

Unable to generate a catalog for an x86 operating system image while running on an x64 operating system.  Retry the operation from an x86 operating system."

Anybody know why this error occured?

Regards,

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 9:34 AM

Answers

• This is a known issue. There is no work around and there are plenty of blogs about the topic.

Generate your catalog files on an x86 machine then copy them to the server.

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com/

• Marked as answer by Ze Povinho Thursday, May 31, 2012 3:04 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ze Povinho Wednesday, June 6, 2012 9:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ze Povinho Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:29 PM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 11:21 PM
  • I tried to follow the advice of Andrew Barnes and i successfully deploy an image windows 8 x86.

Just install the MDT 2012 on a x86 machine ( is not necessary to be server 2008, may be in windows 7 ), and generate the answer file from there and make the changes necessary. Then just replace the aswer file in MDT Server.

Anyway I'm not sure that this will be a permanent solution, I think it is just aredundant way. But I think I can take this thread as answered for now.

Regards

Daniel Gonçalves

• Marked as answer by Ze Povinho Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:30 PM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:30 PM

All replies

• This is a known issue. There is no work around and there are plenty of blogs about the topic.

Generate your catalog files on an x86 machine then copy them to the server.

• Marked as answer by Ze Povinho Thursday, May 31, 2012 3:04 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Ze Povinho Wednesday, June 6, 2012 9:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ze Povinho Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:29 PM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 11:21 PM
  • Thank you Andrew,

So i wiil wait for a microsoft hotfix.

regards,

Thursday, May 31, 2012 3:04 PM
  • Sorry, to be clear. It's not a bug, it's just the way it works.

x86 Windows SIM:
    Can create catalogs for x86, x64, and Itanium-based Windows images.

x64 Windows SIM:
    Can create catalogs only for x64 Windows images.

Itanium-based Windows SIM:
    Can create catalogs only for Itanium-based Windows images. 

Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:35 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

So i need do uninstall the SIM x64 of my server and install the SIM x86 to work with the all W8 images?

Regards,

• Proposed as answer by Intelphil Friday, June 1, 2012 11:34 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Intelphil Friday, June 1, 2012 11:34 PM
    Friday, June 1, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Ze,

I have run into the same situation to fix issues.  There have been errors in the answer file for the x86 versions of Win 8 that prohibit a deployment. However I have been able to fix these errors in the generated .xml file from the task sequence.  I just compare a good working version and fix any errors manually...That has been my W/A

Friday, June 1, 2012 11:38 PM
  • Andrew,

I have run into the same situation to fix errors in the answer file or add components.  There have been errors in the answer file for the x86 with Win 7 versions and of Win 8 that prohibit a deployment. However I have been able to fix these errors in the generated .xml file from the task sequence.  I just compare a good working version and fix any errors manually...That has been my W/A.

Phil

• Proposed as answer by Ricardo Polo Friday, February 15, 2013 11:15 PM
    Friday, June 1, 2012 11:41 PM
  • Ran into this problem last week.  Took a trip to the Technet Library to get some additional insight. (Emphasis added below)

Important
    Different binary versions of Windows SIM cannot create catalog files for some Windows images of different architecture types. We recommend using the 32-bit version of Windows SIM to create catalog files because this version can create catalogs for all Windows image architecture types. The following list describes the Windows SIM architecture types and catalogs that can be created for each Windows image architecture type.
    • x86 Image Manager. Can create catalogs for x86, x64, and Itanium-based Windows images.
    • x64 Image Manager. Can create catalogs only for x64 Windows images.
    • Itanium-based Image Manager. Can create catalogs only for Itanium-based Windows images.

No sweat, uninstall WAIK amd64 and install WAIK x86 then right?

Ok so, if I can't install WAIK x86 on a 64-bit OS then my 2008 R2 server that I'm already chest deep in (running WDS, DFS, DHCP, MDT) is of no use? If that's the case then...

• Edited by JuliusPIV Monday, June 4, 2012 3:38 PM
    Monday, June 4, 2012 3:17 PM
  • Hi,

I did several tests to workaround this situation, but all failed.

One of tests was i did was set up an x86 MDT machine to another MDT and WAIK and fathered a new task sequence and set the answer file, then copied the answer file to the server X64 replacing the existing file.

However when I run the deploy appears in the "select operating system that you want to install".  i've edited the answer file on a x86 machine but the same situation happens.

any idea?

Regards,

Friday, June 8, 2012 9:26 AM
  • I have in my workbanch two DS ( Windows 7 and Windows 8 ). Inside of Windows 7 DS i have two operation System x86 and x64 and i can edit the unattend file in both systems.

However, when i go to edit the unattend file of Windows8 x86 appear the error below: ( but only in this plataform ).

I'm confused. You mentioned in the above that you were able to edit the unattend file for both x64 and x86 Windows 7 from your Server 08 machine (x64).  Is this correct?  Because thats the exact issue I'm having.  I hope you get your Windows 8 issue fixed and all but how'd you get the above to work??

:)

Friday, June 8, 2012 1:47 PM
  • hello TK,

Yes That's correct. I can edit the answer file in both systems of Windows 7 on WS2008. My problem is only when i edit the answer file of Windows8 x86 in WS2008 x64.

I never did this problem with windows 7.

Maybe the same solution for Windows 8 i have will be the same solution for your problem, but i dont know yet.

I hope troubleshooting soon or someone can help. :)

regards,

Friday, June 8, 2012 2:14 PM
  • I tried to follow the advice of Andrew Barnes and i successfully deploy an image windows 8 x86.

Just install the MDT 2012 on a x86 machine ( is not necessary to be server 2008, may be in windows 7 ), and generate the answer file from there and make the changes necessary. Then just replace the aswer file in MDT Server.

Anyway I'm not sure that this will be a permanent solution, I think it is just aredundant way. But I think I can take this thread as answered for now.

Regards

Daniel Gonçalves

• Marked as answer by Ze Povinho Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:30 PM
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 2:30 PM
  • Hi Ze,

do you know this is the "full" solution until now?

When i make a Deploymentshare on x86 (or use a unc-path to the MDT-x64-server) and try to edit unattend.xml i get the following output:

Performing operation "generate" on Target "Catalog".

Starting: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Deployment Toolkit\Bin\Microsoft.BDD.Catalog35.exe" "C:\lokaal\Operating Systems\Lokaal\w7office2010_aug2012.wim" 1 > "C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\2\Microsoft.BDD.Catalog.log" 2>&1

No existing catalog file found.

PROGRESS: 0: Starting.

PROGRESS: 0: Creating mount folder: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\2\IMGMGR_w7office2010_aug2012_Windows7_Office2010_Updates_Augustus2012_lmkaqs4u.ks4.

PROGRESS: 5: Creating temp folder: C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\2\IMGMGR_w7office2010_aug2012_temp_lbur3hig.jwj.

PROGRESS: 10: Mounting Windows image: C:\lokaal\Operating Systems\Lokaal\w7office2010_aug2012.wim. This might take a few minutes.

ERROR: Unable to generate catalog on C:\lokaal\Operating Systems\Lokaal\w7office2010_aug2012.wim: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.WimImageInfo.PreCreateCatalog()

at Microsoft.ComponentStudio.ComponentPlatformInterface.OfflineImageInfo.CreateCatalog()

at Microsoft.BDD.Catalog.Program.DoCatalog()

Non-zero return code from catalog utility, rc = 2002

• Edited by Mvd12345 Tuesday, August 28, 2012 11:43 AM
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 11:27 AM
  • You can edit the unattend.xml for an x86 deployment from n x64 machine.  The issue is generating the catalog for the x86 image on an x64 machine, snd this must be done before the unattend.xml can be edited with teh SIM.  the catalog file for an x86 image must be generated on an x86 system.

If you have your deployment share on an x64 server, you can:

install MDT and WAIK/ADK on an x86 machine

open the deployment share from the server

edit the unattend XML for the x86 task sequence, which will in turn generate the catalog for the x86 image(.clg file)

once the catalog has been generated, you can use the SIM to edit the unattend XML on an x64 machine

• Proposed as answer by VA-SysAdmin Tuesday, August 12, 2014 4:15 PM
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 6:28 PM
  • Maybe i have another additional solution.

After generating a clg-file with an x86-Host (OMG), the MDT-2012 on my x64-Server did not accept the clg-file anyway.

I couldn't open it out of the MDT-Tasksequence --> OS Info --> Edit unattend.xml. Only with SIM from the startmenu.

So i (frustrated) just tried to REPAIR the MDT 2012 Update 1 installation in "programs and functions" --> Took about 20 seconds....

And... Here we go.. Everything works fine now. Don't ask me why...

• Proposed as answer by Sadoscopsisbell Friday, May 31, 2013 2:16 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Sadoscopsisbell Friday, May 31, 2013 2:16 PM
    • Proposed as answer by jabdip Wednesday, August 14, 2013 3:28 PM
    Thursday, December 6, 2012 3:16 PM
  • Running a Repair on WAIK is what resolved this issue for me.

The fact that we can't install the x86 WAIK on an x64 OS like Server 2008 R2 is pretty annoying, especially when one considers the limitations of the x64 edition, i.e., the inability to create x86 catalogs. So, now I guess I have to build a 32-bit box for the express purpose of creating a catalog so I can occasionally edit an x86 Unattend.xml file. How convenient...

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 3:33 PM
  • It's already been covered, but what I did is create a virtual machine using Hyper-V on my MDT server and setup a 32bit OS with ADK.

You don't even have to install MDT, you honestly just need virtual 32bit system with ADK installed. Open Windows System Image Manager on the virtual machine and then go to File and "select Windows image...". It'll build a new catalog. Once that's done you can close it, but don't get rid of the VM as you may need it for future images or other 32bit needs. I also have Internet Explorer Customization Wizard installed on it to build IE packages only because I didn't want to put it on my main server.

• Edited by Dan_Vega Wednesday, June 11, 2014 1:34 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Dan_Vega Wednesday, June 11, 2014 1:34 PM
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 2:31 PM
  • So, is it possible to simply modify an x64 answer file to work with an x86 install? I have two files (WDSClientUnattend.mxl and ImageUnattend.xml) and tried replacing all instances of "amd64" with "x86" but it doesn't seem to be working. I actually want the same setup for both types of systems. Sadly, some of our equipment is NOT x64 compatible.
    Thursday, January 9, 2014 4:41 PM
  • Running a Repair on WAIK is what resolved this issue for me.

The fact that we can't install the x86 WAIK on an x64 OS like Server 2008 R2 is pretty annoying, especially when one considers the limitations of the x64 edition, i.e., the inability to create x86 catalogs. So, now I guess I have to build a 32-bit box for the express purpose of creating a catalog so I can occasionally edit an x86 Unattend.xml file. How convenient...

<sarc>

What do you want for free? It is obvious to MS that x86 is what you should be running not x64.

<sarc/>

and of course this never happens... Mgmt tells you that x64 is the only hardware you will need to support. Then the "right" person insists on x86 because "they" bought the cheap PC that is x86 only.

Oh wait! It just happened to me. We are getting control of procurement so it won't happen again (in theory) but that does not help me now.

It is really difficult to not dislike MS with their random decision making process and perhaps lack of forethought.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 6:35 PM
  • Changing every reference to "amd64" in the x64 generated unattend.xml file to "x86" worked for me. It's kind of silly that anyone should need to do this.
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 10:49 PM
  • You're missing the point, that won't create a catalog and unless your unattend file is pretty basic I would recommend against manually renaming x86 to amd64 as there are some components such as wow64. Just build a simple VM with a 32bit OS (doesn't need to be a server) and WAIK or ADK (if you deploy 8). It doesn't take long and you'll have a vm you can easily fire up at anytime in the future for 32bit needs. Complain if you want but read up. If you're using Windows 8 or fairly new Windows server you can use Hyper-V for free.

Win7 and older - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744249(v=WS.10).aspx

Win8 and up - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825092.aspx

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Friday, June 13, 2014 1:36 PM
  • You're missing the point, that won't create a catalog and unless your unattend file is pretty basic I would recommend against manually renaming x86 to amd64 as there are some components such as wow64.

Agreed. I discovered this first hand since mine is not simple. :-(
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 1:25 PM
  • This worked for me and is not that complicated. I ran into the same issue and my searching all pointed to the this same solution that works.  In case eschloss wasn't clear enough, here's the step-by-step.  To be clear, I'm doing a pretty vanilla setup of MDT 2013 on a Server2012R2 server. Just a basic x86 Client task sequence. (but yes, overall it's still a pain to have to do this. Also, you don't HAVE to do this....you can just edit the autogenerated .xml file in any text editor and it works. You just have to find out manually how to adjust or add the component you are trying to edit, which you can usually just cut and paste from examples. That way all your x86 references don't get messed up by trying to copy in the x64 bit version of the file!)

Also to clear up some misinformation in some of the other posts:

A. YOU ONLY NEED TO DO THIS ONCE (or at least once per x86 operating system image you are capturing or deploying).

B. ONCE YOU'VE DONE THIS, YOU CAN OPEN AND EDIT THE UNATTENDED.XML FILE FROM DEPLOYMENTWORKBENCH ON YOUR X64 SERVER. The Edit Unattend.xml button works after this.

The Steps:1. On an x86 physical or virtual machine, install JUST the Deployment Tools from the Windows ADK so you can get SIM. You don't need to install MDT or any other component.

2. Open SIM on the x86 machine. Go to File>Select Windows image. Enter the UNC path of the Deployment share in question. Browse to the Operating Systems folder, then the folder you created for the OS, then select the .wim file for the OS in that folder.

3. SIM will open the .wim and prompt you that a catalog needs to be generated. Generate it. Note: I had to make sure the DeploymentWorkbench was closed on my x64 server or else it complained a process locked a file.

4. If your x86 machine is the typical minimally spec'ed VM, then make a coffee. It will take a while. Don't use a Keurig either. I'm talking old school brew a pot and stand and wait. If you hand grind and use a French Press, even better. It will be done before you know it!!

5. SIM generates the needed .clg file for the image on the server. You can now exit SIM, switch back over to your Workbench running on your server or your 64bit workstation and click that little "Edit Unattend.xml" button to your heart's content. Your edits will save. You just needed the x86 machine to generate the file the 64 bit Workbench needed.

• Proposed as answer by SnowTracker Wednesday, October 1, 2014 11:59 AM
    Tuesday, August 12, 2014 9:20 PM
  • Thank you, Asmar Fontenot. Your instruction worked very fine for me and it took just a few minutes. Good job.
    Monday, February 2, 2015 7:50 PM