Outlook 2003 bad file sector issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 1 year old Toshiba Satellite running Windows 7. Recently in Outlook 2003 I kept on getting "not responding" messages.They usually went away. Then the program shut down. I could not delete, send, compose etc. I installed the Windows Inbox repair tool & ran it. It always stopped at 21% of part 1 of 8. The message I got was I needed to run Disk Check. I ran it in this:

C:\Users\CoachDave\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook (2).pst

I do not know why I have a PST (2) & also a PST (1). Anyway after running it the message was that there was a bad file in sector 289 & it was repaired. I went back to the Inbox repair tool & it ran OK. I figured I was OK now but Outlook started to slow down & then stopped responding again. I tried running the Inbox Repair Tool - same message. When I went to CHKDSK the same file 289 came up as bad. I guess it was not repaired. I even tried installing Office 2010 as a trial but it happened to that version of Outlook as well. I use Microsoft Essentials for security & Iolo System Mechanic for maintenance. All help is greatly appreciated.

Monday, May 16, 2011 12:01 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest to delete the account profile in the Outlook, then copy the PST file to another drive=>set the account in Outlook=>try to use pstscan to repair the file=>attach the pst file to the account again.

If the issue still occur, I suggest to post the thread at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/officeitpro,visio2010,grooveserveritpro for help.

Thanks for understanding.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by tricoachdave Wednesday, May 18, 2011 10:55 AM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 9:36 AM

All replies

• Hi tricoachdave,

pst file is an archive in Outlook and have you tried to remove this archive from Outlook? Have you tried to run PST and/or OST repair tool, I think it called scanpst or scanost, and it is also recommended that you restart your computer to safe mode and run chkdsk command, if you know how to do it. I have read your description that you have tried with CHKDSK with with file 289 bad or such message. It is much better if you can post the exact result from chkdsk.

Monday, May 16, 2011 1:15 PM
  • The inbox repair tool I referred to is "scanpst".

The last time I ran CHKDSK it was done from a DOS command prompt in Safe Mode.

In addition to the error message in the PST file I also got one for file 1005 in

windows\system\config\software

When I ran CHKDSK I did it as: C:\>CHKDSK /R

Monday, May 16, 2011 1:59 PM
  • Hi,

I suggest to delete the account profile in the Outlook, then copy the PST file to another drive=>set the account in Outlook=>try to use pstscan to repair the file=>attach the pst file to the account again.

If the issue still occur, I suggest to post the thread at http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/officeitpro,visio2010,grooveserveritpro for help.

Thanks for understanding.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by tricoachdave Wednesday, May 18, 2011 10:55 AM
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 9:36 AM
  • I do not know if I know what you sre talking about & know what to do. Can I get a more detailed description on what to do?
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 10:53 AM
  • The problem has happened again & once again I am running CHKDSK & see that file 289 is bad & is being repaired. Magicnich has suggested that I post the CHKDSK report. How do I do that? Can it be copied & pasted?
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 2:15 PM