F.E.A.R. software patch can't find installation directory RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - I have installed the latest RC and have an issue.  I installed and ran F.E.A.R from Sierra without any problems.  I had an issue with the version update executable for F.E.A.R. 1.08.  When the update programs tries to find the installed directory, it says it can not find it.  I think this is because Windows7 put the program in the Program Files (x86) instead of the Program Files.  I don' think the update executable allows me to specify the installation directory.  I tried copying the update file to the installed directory, but it still did not find the base program.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:38 PM

Answers

• I've experience the same problem with other patches - but in my case I've found a solution.

I'm using Kaspersky IS - it was causing the problem. Even if I run patch in Admin mode, the patch cannot access registry to check where is the previous version installed and which version it is. 

The resolution was to disable Kaspersky for 1 minute - just to let the patch to check the registry settings.

So, maybe try this...
    Friday, July 31, 2009 11:23 AM

All replies

• Looks like the patch software is hard-coded to install in the Program Files folder (rather than the 32-bit x86 folder).

Only thing i can think of is creating a shim for file redirection and point it to the right folder.

Download Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.5
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=24DA89E9-B581-47B0-B45E-492DD6DA2971&displaylang=en

see the tutorial at Be ready for Windows 7: Application Compatibility
    view 09:50 - Application Compatibility Administrator to create remediation package
    http://edge.technet.com/Media/Be-ready-for-Windows-7-Application-Compatibility/

I know it is not a one click solution, but I can't think of anything else...
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:26 AM
  • I doubt that it's anything as simple as where the game is installed. I sometimes don't install games in their default directories. If the patch depended on a hardcoded location, that would be seriously sloppy programming.

Did you run the patch with Administrator privileges? (You have to specify that explicitly, even if you have admin privileges yourself.) Failing that, try Compatibility mode for XP, and Run as Administrator.

(I see that the original game claims to support XP X64, so I doubt that your using an X64 OS is the major cause.)

I suppose that, to be really helfpul, I'd install the game and try the patch myself, but the thought of going through an install that requires 5 CDs does not attract me.

Good luck.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:53 PM
  • I've experience the same problem with other patches - but in my case I've found a solution.

I'm using Kaspersky IS - it was causing the problem. Even if I run patch in Admin mode, the patch cannot access registry to check where is the previous version installed and which version it is. 

The resolution was to disable Kaspersky for 1 minute - just to let the patch to check the registry settings.

So, maybe try this...
    Friday, July 31, 2009 11:23 AM