Enterprise deployment and links RRS feed

• Question

• I'm part of a team deploying applications with App-V.  I've searched the Internet for answers to these questions, and I'm hoping I can broach them here and get a response of some sort.  I'll start with the easy one.

We're having a problem with links attached to a bubble.  I use the term "external links" with coworkers, because all our testing has shown that the links you describe in the Sequencing Wizard/Management Console are only attached to the outside of the bubbled app.  We have removed the links from apps to test, and found that a shortcut on the desktop that is sequenced with the app continues to associate with the bubbled app.  A shortcut that is outside the bubble no longer associates with the bubbled app.  We have concluded from this test that the links are outward-facing only.  Can anyone confirm this?

The significant issue comes when we are using a local app v/s a bubbled app that has the same file associations.  Here is a good example of a potential problems we see breaching soon:

Excel 2003 local; 97 in a bubble (I know, I know.  "We don't recommed that."  We're in a healthcare environment, and have to use specific versions of apps for specific vendor-approved functions).  User saves file to local desktop from 2003.  That file is now associated with the bubbled app, and macros/plugins no longer work.  Same problem with MS Access, but bigger.

We can prevent a bubbled app from opening if there is a local version (the coding for this script is ugly), but we have not built any logic to actually ACTIVATE the local app.  I know others have this problem, but it would seem that there is a simple solution:  If the file association exists locally, USE THE LOCAL EXTENSION.  Don't go to the bubble.

Is there something from Microsoft I can tell the other engineers that is the final word on this problem/concept?

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 6:57 PM

Answers

• The only solution which i found is to remove the file association while publishing the applications.

• Proposed as answer by znack Sunday, February 20, 2011 10:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:42 PM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2008 9:31 PM