Migrated from on-prem to cloud , now most users can't connect RRS feed

• Question

• 7 months ago our users on a specific subnet, working fine on-prem had their sip account changed and migrated to the cloud. Since then, most 85-95% have not been able to connect to the server to login. New users in the past 7 months have had no issues on this same subnet. These subnets are managed by another business unit and require access via Junos Pulse.

If we move them to another subnet they work fine. I can't help but think the issue is with their account on the server.

The Skype server is run from another business unit. I support and manage these users but we are in a different business unit and I am not one of those Skype admins and I have limited access to those Skype admins. We have tried and tested so many options it's been exhausting. 

We have tried just about everything we could imagine locally on the machines. We have found nothing to work, in fact a couple users we have had to reimage their machines for other reasons, and they still can't connect. Move them to another subnet and they can login. These impacted users have no issues accessing Skype while on VPN.

I have been told that the admins have tested recreating a Skype user account and saw no change. I was not made aware of this so I have no details of what was done exactly. The greatest hurdle is the inconsistency we see. Any suggestions?

I would like to dump all of this and move to the other available subnet but we are getting pushed back because I'm told it's to much work for the network group... 

Monday, February 5, 2018 3:09 PM

Answers

• This erroneous key seems to be the culprit. Now were on to finding out how or why this changes. Thanks for your input.

KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections\WinHttpSettings

• Marked as answer by jjstok Thursday, March 1, 2018 2:33 PM
    Thursday, March 1, 2018 2:33 PM

All replies

• Hi jjstok,

As you description,move the problematic users to another subnet or use VPN ,they all can login.I think you could troublshooting your network.

You could try to login in the skype for business manually.

Normaly ,if you cannot login the skype for business ,we toubleshooting have two aspects 1. DNS 2.Certificates.

Please run the nslookup sipdir.online.lync.com in the problematic user’s computer.

There is a link about the toubleshoting the DNS record ,you could have a reference.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2566790/troubleshooting-skype-for-business-online-dns-configuration-issues-in

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 2:54 AM
  • I do not have the authority to move users to the other subnet. NSlookup shows no discrepancies between working and non-working machines. As far as the certificates, wouldn't we see issues on any subnet if there were cert issues?
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 2:52 PM
  • More testing today we find using netmon we are seeing failing machines trying to connect to Skype servers via our proxy.

Working machines are not trying to access the proxy.

Neither machine has proxy settings configured in their browsers.

Why is Skype trying to access the servers via the proxy?

Tuesday, February 6, 2018 5:54 PM
  • Hi jjstok,

Thanks for your reply and waiting.

According your description, only the special subnet users cannot login, and you noticed they tried to connect the Lync server by proxy.

When the client cannot login, is there any error message on the client side, and does it pop up for authentication?

As the client connect to the proxy, if there is no proxy setting on the machine, I think you may check it with the network team to see if there is any proxy setting for this subnet.

And I think you could also check if the required ports for clients are opened in this subnet.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg398833.aspx

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2409256/you-can-t-connect-to-skype-for-business-online--or-certain-features-do

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, February 8, 2018 7:01 AM
  • Most of the users on this subnet fail, not all.

The error eventually displays, Can't sign in to Skype Business. The server is temporarily unavailable.

No proxy is used at this location for any of the users.

Testing using netmon on my machine I found lync reaching out to the configured proxy. If I clear the proxy settings, it does not try to connect to the proxy. This makes sense. But it's not what we're seeing on the client machines.

Thursday, February 8, 2018 1:58 PM
  • Hi jjstok,

Thanks for your reply and waiting.

Based on the error message, we suggest that you could try to delete the Lync profile, temporary folders and related registry keys.

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\1x.0\Lync\sip_xxx

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\office\1x.0\Lync\<username>

Also you could try to kill the Lync process completely and then delete the whole

‘HKCU\Software\Microsoft\MSOIdentityCRL’ key.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 2:49 AM
  • We've tried all of that except the MSO key. Will let you know.
    Wednesday, February 14, 2018 4:08 PM
  • Are there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Thursday, February 22, 2018 11:40 AM
  • Was out of the office last week. Finding today, among varying machines, confirming the content of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections\WinHttpSettings.

Finding some of these machines, although they do not have an proxy settings configured, this reg key still contains proxy settings. Testing and waiting to see if these settings repopulate after changes of conditions, reboot, working on\off VPN where the proxy config is required.

I should have more info by the end of the week.

Monday, February 26, 2018 7:23 PM
  • This erroneous key seems to be the culprit. Now were on to finding out how or why this changes. Thanks for your input.

KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections\WinHttpSettings

• Marked as answer by jjstok Thursday, March 1, 2018 2:33 PM
    Thursday, March 1, 2018 2:33 PM
  • Thanks for your sharing

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Friday, March 2, 2018 6:56 AM