Microsoft Edge seizes Windows 10; how to prevent RAM unrelease? RRS feed

• Question

• I use Windows 10 17134.1.180410-1804.rs4_release_CLIENTENTERPRISEEVAL_OEMRET_x64FRE_en-us.

Now Microsoft Edge's one instance starts 7 to 11 processes which allocates RAM which it won't handle efficiently because Windows eventually seizes; where as Internet Explorer 11 doesn't crashes Windows; posting this question after closing Microsoft Edge from Task Manager and using Internet Explorer 11 which runs only one instance and one processes but at the top of RAM use, similar to Microsoft Edge.

How to avoid Windows seizure because of Microsoft Edge's inefficient RAM handling?

Ready reference processes:

Thursday, September 13, 2018 3:41 AM

Answers

• Please read:

This problem solved.

Interesting findings and answers.

1. It primarily caused because mouse was kept on a table with reflective SURFACE; which ordinarily won't be noticed. Coordinates feed of mouse was continuous like continuous movement of mouse which numbered in count which seized even Intel Core i3 3.2 GHz Dual Core processor with Graphics Processor of 1 GB memory in processor; I used HP C2500 mouse with laser beam which tracks mouse coordinates; reflective SURFACE on which mouse was kept reflected number of beams back in mouse receptor instead of only one, I found cause after shifting desktop from sunmica SURFACE table on to old wooden table with rough finish; on rough SURFACE mouse movements generated coordinates accurately; its even could be xxxxxxxyyyyyyyyyxxxxyyyxxxxxyyxy non sequential instead of xy xy xy further erroring processor. Mouse should be used on rough SURFACE and not on reflective SURFACE.
    2. Internet Explorer 11's settings of Advanced tab with Enhanced Security features selected loads webpages slowly or doesn't loads; I was advised to Reset Internet Explorer 11's Advance Settings on Advance tab; which resetted and webpage loading improved.
    3. Microsoft Edges settings brought to normal.
    4. Windows 10 Settings Accounts Login etc. completed all, not leaving unsetted, Network Settings were checked, Apps settings kept to minimum not allowing to contact share resources with each other or with Windows or Microsoft.

Above precautions answered mentioned problem.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 4:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is a quick note to let you know that I am currently performing research on this issue and will get back to you as soon as possible. I appreciate your patience.<o:p></o:p>

If you have any updates during this process, please feel free to let me know.

<o:p>Best Regards,</o:p>

<o:p>Otto Wang</o:p>

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 14, 2018 3:10 AM
  • is this the same system as from your other thread?
    Windows Defender SmartScreen Process uses much of RAM; which eventually seizes Windows; how to prevent this without a funny workaround?
    So it was not SMPlayer?
    Are you running Windows 10 x64 on a system with only 2 GB or RAM?

All modern browsers start multiple processes, and 48MB is not excessive for Edge.

Friday, September 14, 2018 5:18 AM
  • Yes it is the same system from my other thread mentioned.

Right now I am listening (only) a video playing on SMPlayer.exe (64 bit) AND wmplayer.exe (64 bit) running but stopped playing video (on purpose); this funny workaround prevents Windows seizer if Microsoft Edge is launched; I found reason also, SMPlayer.exe somehow runs a thread (of efficient RAM allocation) which it won't release, being at elevated authority than other programms even Microsoft Edge, this deadlock condition prevents Windows seizer because Microsoft Edge can not go on allocating RAM without release, to the extent of system seizer; RAM allocation and release should be efficient to prevent Windows seizer.

I am running Windows 10 x64, 2 GB RAM.

Its probably not because of RAM allocation from 2 GB but its release; which seizes Windows 10 because of ever decreasing RAM because of unrelease.

Saturday, September 15, 2018 5:29 AM
  • Please study reply to EckiS.
    Saturday, September 15, 2018 5:33 AM
  • If Windows crashes: share a dump file. When only Edge freezes: use a different browser.

2Gb is the minimum for Windows 10x64. I hope your system at least has a SSD.

• Edited by EckiS Saturday, September 15, 2018 8:28 AM
    Saturday, September 15, 2018 8:25 AM
  • Windows crashed; from which I posted reply; tabbed Microsoft Edge failed Windows; but this with Internet Explorer 11 running without fail even with tabs.

Sharing of Dump file if found and possible.

I am using a 10,000 rpm 300 GB Western Digital HDD with above normal cache, but not SSD.

This problem of RAM handling I questioned way earlier evaluating Windows 7, Windows 10 escalated it to the brink of crashing because of Microsoft Edge.

Saturday, September 15, 2018 11:05 AM
  • Can you be more specific than "Windows crashed"?
    Do you get a BSOD? Or it just freezes? What is logged in event log?

Edge browser stops responding after some time / on some pages was my experience, too.
    But this never affected the OS, and I stopped using Edge.
    Saturday, September 15, 2018 11:55 AM
  • Windows seized or freezed but not crashed or BSOD.

Microsoft Edge with only one tab would not seize Windows; multiple tabs would.

Not because of Internet Explorer 11; even with multiple tabs.

Windows stopped responding.

If Windows Media Player and SMPlayer were running; Windows seizer would be delayed if not stopped.

There is a slight chance of hardware malfunction (hp C2500 mouse shows signs of wear because of over use (almost continuously 12 hours per day monthly, yearly) which Windows fast flickeringly display shows many options short duration or continuously (another form of Windows stopped working).

These hardware problems starts showing if RAM is not handled efficiently.

Sunday, September 16, 2018 4:10 AM
  • What is logged in event log at the time the freeze happens?

When your system already froze with Windows 7, this might be simply a hardware problem. Did you run a memory test?

Sunday, September 16, 2018 4:39 AM
  • I was trying to post reply since yesterday; but website messaged it a SPAM and redirected to TechNet Forum Issues.

It doesn't seems even like hardware problem.

Many years desktop was kept on sunmica SURFACE table; reason of Windows seize I think was because of mouse coordinate's continuous feed to computer which went in bizarre mode because of confusing reading coordinates from mouse or even multiple location coordinates (probable sequenced as xxxxyyyyxxxyyyyyyyxy (not even sequential xyxyxyxyxyxy)) because of mirror finish SURFACE.
    Today I shifted desktop from sunmica SURFACED table to an old wooden rough finish table; and I could feel accurate coordinates from mouse and Windows seize is not foresighted because of RAM.

Monday, September 17, 2018 4:11 AM
  • Please read:

This problem solved.

Interesting findings and answers.

1. It primarily caused because mouse was kept on a table with reflective SURFACE; which ordinarily won't be noticed. Coordinates feed of mouse was continuous like continuous movement of mouse which numbered in count which seized even Intel Core i3 3.2 GHz Dual Core processor with Graphics Processor of 1 GB memory in processor; I used HP C2500 mouse with laser beam which tracks mouse coordinates; reflective SURFACE on which mouse was kept reflected number of beams back in mouse receptor instead of only one, I found cause after shifting desktop from sunmica SURFACE table on to old wooden table with rough finish; on rough SURFACE mouse movements generated coordinates accurately; its even could be xxxxxxxyyyyyyyyyxxxxyyyxxxxxyyxy non sequential instead of xy xy xy further erroring processor. Mouse should be used on rough SURFACE and not on reflective SURFACE.
    2. Internet Explorer 11's settings of Advanced tab with Enhanced Security features selected loads webpages slowly or doesn't loads; I was advised to Reset Internet Explorer 11's Advance Settings on Advance tab; which resetted and webpage loading improved.
    3. Microsoft Edges settings brought to normal.
    4. Windows 10 Settings Accounts Login etc. completed all, not leaving unsetted, Network Settings were checked, Apps settings kept to minimum not allowing to contact share resources with each other or with Windows or Microsoft.

Above precautions answered mentioned problem.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 4:08 AM
  • Hi, 

Thanks for your update and sharing.

I am glad that your issue has been resolved, and this will be helpful of others who have the same issue.

If you have questions or requirements, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Otto Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, September 18, 2018 4:23 AM