none
DPM 2012 does not see slots in IBM TotalStorage 3573 Tape Library RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed DPM 2012 on a Windows 2012 R2 server and it has a SAS connected Dell TL2000 tape library.  I have installed the drivers for the drive and library but DPM only shows "Library: IBM TotalStorage 3573 Tape Library" and underneath it it shows Drives and there is an "IBM ULTRIUM 5 HH 3580 TAPE DRIVE".  There are no slots appearing even though there are 23 available.

I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers but this does not work.  I have installed them from the command prompt (install_exclusive.exe) but still the slots are not appearing.  They appear to be working in the device manager and appear as above.  I have tried changing the Medium Changer to "unknown" but this makes it disappear in DPM altogether.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience of this issue and if so I would be most grateful of any advice.

Thanks

Chris

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 5:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply.  I have just managed to get the slots showing before looking at your post.  I did this by right clicking on the library and selected Add tape (I/E port) and it ran an inventory on the loader and then the slots all appeared with the tapes in them.

Thanks for your help anyway,

Chris

• Marked as answer by chris624 Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:09 AM
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:08 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please download and run the dpm library cheker tool and see if it detects any failures.

Verifying tape library compatibility
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj733581.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 8:36 PM
  • Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply.  I have just managed to get the slots showing before looking at your post.  I did this by right clicking on the library and selected Add tape (I/E port) and it ran an inventory on the loader and then the slots all appeared with the tapes in them.

Chris

• Marked as answer by chris624 Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:09 AM
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:08 AM
  • Hi Mike

Chris

OH MY GOD!

This worked for me too. I have been scratching my head for a week now. did multiple reboots etc, nothing worked ... THANK YOU!

BTW, I am using DPM with HP StoreOnce 4700 VTL. I have added slots from the StoreOnce many times in the past. DPM always saw new slots after a rescan. But this time, it showed newly added slots all right but all of them were empty.

-Rajeev rajdude.com

Saturday, February 20, 2016 3:20 AM