Incoming Email - Sharepoint 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I had a problem to implement incoming email settings in sharepoint 2007 server using exchange 2003. The problem is that i can't route the emails send to the list to the sharepoint server. That problem come from my email infrastructure and i can't change it!!!!

I had two questions:

1) I'm not an expert working with active directory. Is there a way to use a exchange real mailbox (ex: hildemar.antoyma@something.com) in the contact that sharepoint creates when i activate the incoming email settings of a list?

2) If There a way to configure the sharepoint inconming email settting to use a real mailbox(ex: hildemar.antoyma@something.com) and not a AD contact?

Any help on the matter would be appreciated.

Best Regards

Hildemar Antoyma Web Developer
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 1:53 PM

Answers

• Get an Organizational Unit created in Active Directory where SharePoint Incoming Email Settings will create contacts with the Directory Management Service option enabled.

Use this OU to configure Incoming Email settings.

The timer service account should have rights to create contacts in this OU.

Thanks

Prasad

• Marked as answer by David HM Friday, March 11, 2011 1:15 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 3:56 PM

All replies

• You need no use the Directory Management Service option to create contacts in the Active Directory OU.

1. Request your exchange admin to redirect all emails to the domain say sp.domain.com to a smtp service running on one of the web front end server say WFE1 where sp.domain.com will be the address to be used for all incoming emails in SharePoint.

2. On the server i.e. WFE1, make sure that you have installed SMTP service and is up and running. Add an alias domain sp.domain.com to the smtp service.

3. Share the drop folder of the smtp service C:\inetpub\mailroot\drop and grant full control permissions to the SharePoint timer service account to this folder and share.

4. Use this share to configure the drop folder option in Incoming Email settings i.e. wfe1\drop

Regards

Prasad

Thursday, March 3, 2011 2:38 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your quick response.

The problem that we have is that we cannot redirect the email to said domain because the email infrastructure. That's why i think that the only option is somehow to use areal mailbox account in the contact that sharepoint creates when you set the incoming email settings. ¿Is there, somehow, a way to achieve this? or , Is there another implementation of incoming email settings in sharepoint 2007?

Thanks for your help,

Hildemar Antoyma Web Developer
    Thursday, March 3, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Get an Organizational Unit created in Active Directory where SharePoint Incoming Email Settings will create contacts with the Directory Management Service option enabled.

Use this OU to configure Incoming Email settings.

The timer service account should have rights to create contacts in this OU.

Thanks

Prasad

• Marked as answer by David HM Friday, March 11, 2011 1:15 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 3:56 PM