none
550 4.4.7 queue expired RRS feed

• Question

• Hi to all

First of all I apologize for my English.

Second I have to make two questions.

On Monday morning the Marketing department of our company has decided to send an email to some customers.

This morning came 8 NDR email with error 550 4.4.7 Queue Expired.
    Reading the send log for this three days I found only 1 email of 8 total not delivered inside.
    1)Is it reasonable;

The only email i have found the exchange tried to send 900 times the first day,1300 the second day and 400 the third day.
    2) Why ONLY this email tried to send so many times.

PS:If you need any other information I am at your disposal.

Thanks and regards.

• Edited by Vagelisr Wednesday, December 4, 2013 12:32 PM
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 12:29 PM

Answers

• Is it reasonable? Yes. The NDR only tells you that the message expired. It doesn't tell you why the message wasn't sent.

Messages may be remain in a queue for may reasons. The receiving MTA may be sending 4xx status codes. Those are transient errors and simply trigger a retry at a later time. There may be a problem with DNS. Or there may be a problem whereby the message begins transmitting to the target MTA and that transmission terminates abnormally. There may be evidence of that in the SMTP Send protocol log, but it wouldn't show up there as a failure, and DNS problems wouldn't show up at all in the SMTP protocol log.

Without knowing your send connector's retry interval(s) or the message expiry time, I don't know how to tell you that 2600 is a correct number of retries. It seems a bit excessive, but not if your retry interval is 60 seconds.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Thursday, December 5, 2013 2:31 AM

All replies

• Hi

Have you tried restarting the transport service? Is your queue empty now or not? have you tried deleting that mail?

It will try sending if it cannot get to the other domain. is all your other mail working fine?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2625264

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 12:37 PM
  • First of all thanks for your time.

Have you tried restarting the transport service?  No i did not

Is your queue empty now or not? From this specific messages yes

have you tried deleting that mail? No

is all your other mail working fine? Yes without any problem.

The point is WHY ONLY THIS email try to send it so many times?

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 12:55 PM
  • could be a bad message.

If you try send a new mail to that domain does it go through fine?

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 12:56 PM
  • Thanks again.

When you say "bad message" what you mean?

They send the same message in all the customers.

I dont want to try again to send a new messages.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 1:00 PM
  • Is any AV scanning your mail out? If it was only that mail, keep an eye out for when mail is sent out to your customers. Anything logged in event viewer?
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 1:04 PM
  • No AV is only for incoming emails.

Also nothing stranger in our event log.

Νever before I had similar problems with outgoing mail

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 1:13 PM
  • Might be a once off thing that you will need to monitor.
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 1:20 PM
  • The other 7 NDR is logical to did not see anything in the send log of my exchange?
    Wednesday, December 4, 2013 1:25 PM
  • Is it reasonable? Yes. The NDR only tells you that the message expired. It doesn't tell you why the message wasn't sent.

Messages may be remain in a queue for may reasons. The receiving MTA may be sending 4xx status codes. Those are transient errors and simply trigger a retry at a later time. There may be a problem with DNS. Or there may be a problem whereby the message begins transmitting to the target MTA and that transmission terminates abnormally. There may be evidence of that in the SMTP Send protocol log, but it wouldn't show up there as a failure, and DNS problems wouldn't show up at all in the SMTP protocol log.

Without knowing your send connector's retry interval(s) or the message expiry time, I don't know how to tell you that 2600 is a correct number of retries. It seems a bit excessive, but not if your retry interval is 60 seconds.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Thursday, December 5, 2013 2:31 AM