none
"Backup succeeded but some components backed up were inconsistent in the snapshot."

Question

• Hello. I have a Windows 2012 R2 server running Hyper-V and Windows Backup returning the error "Backup succeeded but some components backed up were inconsistent in the snapshot." The backup that's failing is of a virtual machine running Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard created using Sysinternals Disk2VHD. The event log on the VM shows this error:

Source: vmicvss

Event ID: 16

"Could not find a matching original Lun for shadow Lun \\.\PhysicalDrive1."

This is followed by:

Source: vss

Event ID: 12293

"Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on a Shadow Copy Provider {74600e39-7dc5-4567-a03b-f091d6c7b092}. Routine details PreFinalCommitSnapshots({a2709227-7262-48ab-987b-5dc13bac4ab9}, 1) [hr = 0x80070490, Element not found.

]. "

Any help would be much appreciated.

TIA,

Keith Ketchum

Monday, September 22, 2014 5:48 PM

Answers

• Hi Keith,

Above all, sorry I moved this thread to SQL forum by mistake. It is moved back to Backup forum immediately.

For the error message, as it mentioned "backup is succeeded but ...", so first I would like to know if Windows Server backup is actually working - for example could you backup a simple file or a folder without any error?

If WSB is actually not working, I suggest taking a backup of the registry form that server and removing Microsoft File Share Shadow Copy provider from there.

Please take a backup of the registry and then delete the key:
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\Providers\{89300202-3cec-4981-9171-19f59559e0f2}"

Then restart the machine and check if issue still exists.

If it persists, please list of the providers (“vssadmin list providers” command from elevated command prompt) and show us the result. 

Meanwhile the event 16 seems to be caused by a missing volume or disk exists in previous backups - is there any volume/disk/iSCSI LUN removed before the issue occurs?

If you have any feedback on our support, please send to tnfsl@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 6:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Keith,

Above all, sorry I moved this thread to SQL forum by mistake. It is moved back to Backup forum immediately.

For the error message, as it mentioned "backup is succeeded but ...", so first I would like to know if Windows Server backup is actually working - for example could you backup a simple file or a folder without any error?

If WSB is actually not working, I suggest taking a backup of the registry form that server and removing Microsoft File Share Shadow Copy provider from there.

Please take a backup of the registry and then delete the key:
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\Providers\{89300202-3cec-4981-9171-19f59559e0f2}"

Then restart the machine and check if issue still exists.

If it persists, please list of the providers (“vssadmin list providers” command from elevated command prompt) and show us the result. 

Meanwhile the event 16 seems to be caused by a missing volume or disk exists in previous backups - is there any volume/disk/iSCSI LUN removed before the issue occurs?

If you have any feedback on our support, please send to tnfsl@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 24, 2014 6:25 AM
  • Dear Moderator,

Not Able to Delete the Key...

Plz Suggest

Monday, May 7, 2018 5:36 AM