Windows 7 RAW support not working for me RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Windows 7 64 home premium.  Installed the new RAW codecs.  Updated Windows live photo.  Open up a directory of photo's and my Canon .cr2 files, supposedly supported, are showing up as generic icons.  What do I need to do to get the RAW support to work?

thanks

Monday, August 1, 2011 4:06 PM

Answers

• Problem solved.  Microsft is not particulary clear on which version to download.  The link is here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26829 the version to download is this one: MicrosoftCodecPack_amd64.msi.  I downloaded the x86 one.  Works great now.

thanks

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:49 AM
    Monday, August 1, 2011 7:27 PM

All replies

• Problem solved.  Microsft is not particulary clear on which version to download.  The link is here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=26829 the version to download is this one: MicrosoftCodecPack_amd64.msi.  I downloaded the x86 one.  Works great now.

thanks

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Wednesday, August 3, 2011 6:49 AM
    Monday, August 1, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Hi John,

It would seem that MS Guys, have fergothen the newer files formats.

Like the 60D 2010 and 2011 CR2 files.

I have most of the older Camera and Files Formats and they all work fine on my Vista 64 and Windows 7 64 bits.

Thanks

JB 

Saturday, August 6, 2011 1:04 PM
  • It's working fine for my 50D cr2 files.  I don't know if the the format is different for the 60d.  YOu just ahve to make sure you have the right version. amd64 for 64 bit systems and x86 for 32 bit.  Also works for my S95.  Even if you have a 60D or even a 5d for that matter  you should spend a day with a s95.  Probably be upgraded soon but RAW support on top of a ton of manual and creative feature.  Absolutely loving my S95 and I am a guy who was glued to his DLSR.
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 10:35 PM
  • While hoping for codec support from Microsoft is a nice goal and aim, as they should be free, I finally broke down and bought the commercial package FastPictureViewer Codec Pack, which provides up-to-date codecs and excellent support for other things like Adobe DNG and PSD formats.

-Noel

Sunday, August 7, 2011 8:13 PM