none
Server 2019 is unusable inside VMWare dew to kernel memory leak RRS feed

• Question

• Some strange things are happening with my setup. I have Windows server 2019 installed inside VMWare Workstation. Windows version: 1809 Build 17763.1457, VMWare Version: 15.5.6. Hardware: old Xeon X5670 dual CPU server with the same Windows version. Same thing happens on newer hardware: dual cpu xeon E5-2630 v2.

After I've launched my heavily network and CPU consuming application, nonpaged pool starts rapidly growing. It keeps growing until the system completely hangs or I stop the application. After I stop the application nonpaged pool keeps the same value and doesn't decrease.

Poolmon shows that my RAM is consumed by mysterious tag TIsn. The only file in Windows folder that contains such symbols is ntoskrnl.exe.

Another thing I found out is when you click "update now" in "Settings" memory starts growing immediately. Can it be somehow connected to Windows update or TrustedInstaller (TIsn pooltag has TI letters)?

There is absolutely no info on internet about such pool tag. Any ideas please?

Monday, October 26, 2020 1:08 PM

All replies

• Start with RamMap..

with RamMap you can relese some kind of memory, so maybe sometimes you can have a look at your usage and release it in order to lower the pressure on the system..

Defnitely you must found more info on that pooltag..

I found nothing on the internet too..

Let's star with Ram map and see what we can do..

Thanks

_mario

Monday, October 26, 2020 1:24 PM
  • Thank you for the answer.

RamMap is the utility that I started my investigation with. It helped me to find out that memory is consumed by nonpaged pool. After I had learned about nonpaged pool I downloaded WDK with Poolmon that indicated TIsn tag as a main memory consumer.

Monday, October 26, 2020 2:02 PM