Virtual machine on cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there. I have extra boxes laying around that aren't doing much except collecting dust. I also want a game server. I understand that games are single threaded and therefore cannot be easily 'farmed' together. I was thinking that if I did a cluster and created a virtual machine that would essentially be 3-4 physical computers i could then run the game as a server, and the load would be passed evenly over the cluster. If i'm incorrect please let me know.

My question is essentially; Can i create a virtual machine that will run on 3-4 machines using the cluster service in server 2003? My machines are approx 5 years old and cannot handle the newer Hyper-V technology (to create a virtual machine in hyper V you apparently need a virtualization capable cpu)

Thanks in advance!
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 12:12 AM

Answers

• In short, no, that's not what clustering does. Clustering provides high availablility and not combine the processing power of multiple servers.

What you are looking for is High Performance Computing (HPC) solution, which is also known as Grid computing.

Hope this helps.
    Visit my blog about multi-site clustering - http://msmvps.com/blogs/jtoner
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 2:30 AM