AppV 5.0 Context Menu RRS feed

• Question

• After sequencing NotePad++ in Appv 5.0 the context menu is not available.  I know how to configure contect menus for certain filetypes using the deployment xml but is it possible to create a context menu for NotePad++ which will mean that right clicking on a file of ANY type will present the "Open with NotePad++" menu?

Friday, March 22, 2013 10:39 AM

Answers

• For what it's worth. Just to help others. I gave this one a go recently.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\OpenWithList did not work, not entirely sure why.

Firstly, You can just create a Send To shortcut easily and quickly without any tweaks, which actually does the same thing as the Edit with Notepad++ context menu option. It just appears under the Send To option....

If you do want to create a context menu option, you can do this by doing the following:

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Classes\*\shell create a New Key called it Edit with Notepad++. Modify the Default string registry key which is created to the value: Edit with Notepad++. Under the key you just created (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Classes\*\shell\Edit with Notepad++), create a new key call it command. Change the default registry string key to the value of: [{AppVPackageRoot}]\notepad++.exe "%1"...alternatively if you actually set it during the sequence capture, point command to the .exe under the Install Directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++

A heads up. The icon will not appear. You can set the Icon string key, but you will need to have the icon file local on the machine for that to appear. Personally, I didn't care about the icon appearing in the Context Menu enough to go through scripting the file to go local on the machine.

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:59 PM
  • You'd need to extend the OpenWith list at this key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\OpenWithList

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Friday, March 22, 2013 12:57 PM

All replies

• You'd need to extend the OpenWith list at this key: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\OpenWithList

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Friday, March 22, 2013 12:57 PM
  • Thank you, would you recommend just manually adding the key during sequencing so the sequencer picks it up or is it more sensible to just create the package then edit it and add a new reg key using the sequencer tools?
    Friday, March 22, 2013 2:26 PM
  • I would add the key during sequencing.

Saturday, April 13, 2013 8:36 AM
  • Hey Alan,

Did this resolve your issue? What version of Notepad++ were you attempting to sequence?

Saturday, September 14, 2013 11:11 PM
  • I deployed the MSI in the end as it needed to go out.  I'll revisit this when it needs an update.

Cheers

Monday, September 16, 2013 8:15 AM
  • For what it's worth. Just to help others. I gave this one a go recently.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\OpenWithList did not work, not entirely sure why.

Firstly, You can just create a Send To shortcut easily and quickly without any tweaks, which actually does the same thing as the Edit with Notepad++ context menu option. It just appears under the Send To option....

If you do want to create a context menu option, you can do this by doing the following:

Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Classes\*\shell create a New Key called it Edit with Notepad++. Modify the Default string registry key which is created to the value: Edit with Notepad++. Under the key you just created (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Classes\*\shell\Edit with Notepad++), create a new key call it command. Change the default registry string key to the value of: [{AppVPackageRoot}]\notepad++.exe "%1"...alternatively if you actually set it during the sequence capture, point command to the .exe under the Install Directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++

A heads up. The icon will not appear. You can set the Icon string key, but you will need to have the icon file local on the machine for that to appear. Personally, I didn't care about the icon appearing in the Context Menu enough to go through scripting the file to go local on the machine.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 5:59 PM
  • Thanks Rory for ur explanation
    Friday, November 8, 2013 12:02 PM