VoIP traffic routing question RRS feed

• Question

• I had a question in regards to how lync voice traffic is routed, I have all equipment server gateway devices on our LAN network single site no Edge and we have a pri/t1 comcast voice which comes into our gateway behind our LAN. Now I just noticed that a lot of the traffic is flowing through our main internet gateway/firewall I noticed it when I tried putting in a new firewall and major issues started coming up, I didn't figure to run any firewall rules or exemptions since all our stuff is behind in the LAN network, yet for whatever reason our voice traffic is deciding to go through our main gateway even though it has no reason to now we have a small network so our switches don't have a million address in there address tables so it seems logical to me that traffic should be flowing directly to the points necessary and I can't see why it's getting routed to our main gateway. Is there something more I should do with the switches? I mean I can see the mac address of endpoint devices in the address tables and as a small network we don't have a lot of switches. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated thanks.
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:12 PM

Answers

• Sounds like the Sonicwall is the culprit here for some reason then. I'd say that you should do a few things here:

• During scheduled downtime, re-introduce the Sonicwall to your network.
    • Start a Lync Logging Tool trace and a Wireshark packet capture on the Lync Front End server and then reproduce the Lync behaviour you saw (failed calls, signing in and out).
    • Put the known good network device back into play (the Netgear), setup another Lync trace and a Wireshark packet capture and reproduce the Lync behaviour again.

After this you can compare the two traces/captures and see what's different and where packets are being dropped etc

Justin Morris | Consultant | Modality Systems
    Lync Blog - www.justin-morris.net
    Twitter: @justimorris
    If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click "Propose as answer"

• Proposed as answer by Noya Lau Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Noya Lau Monday, March 5, 2012 5:42 AM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:29 PM

All replies

• O and one more thing it's all one subnet
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:15 PM
  • Hi, a few questions to start off:

• How do you mean "flowing through your main gateway/firewall"? What logging did you use to determine this?
    • Do you have users connecting over a VPN for Lync per chance?
    • What "major issues" did you observe when you put in a new firewall?
    • How is the voice gateway connected? Is it on the same subnet that the Lync Servers and clients are on? If so, what do you mean when you say it's "behind your LAN"?

If this post has been useful please click the green arrow to the left or click "Propose as answer"

Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:02 PM
  • Yeah not the best at explaining things out, In regards to the first bullet all our equipment is behind the firewall and even outbound calling would happen behind the firewall I put in a new firewall and from the logging this firewall did I saw that Lync traffic voice data ect, had been flowing through the gateway.

On the second question no VPNs.

As far as issues, call quality, dropped calls, failed transfers, desk phones signing in and out.

Our media gateway is connected directly to our Comcast PRI box and the media gateway itself is on the same subnet as the Lync Server and clients, and sorry behind our LAN I meant firewall.

In our old setup we had two seperate devices for our gateway and firewall things worked great but when I put in this new firewall problems just persisted it is a Sonicwall device.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:15 PM
  • So this sounds like a fundamental IP routing problem of some kind. Is the Sonicwall the default gateway for all your servers/client machines?

Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:18 PM
  • It will be, it's a small network so we only have 1 gateway, our old gateway was a Netgear SRX5308 and for the moment I have it back in place until I can get this issue resolved with the sonicwall.
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:24 PM
  • Sounds like the Sonicwall is the culprit here for some reason then. I'd say that you should do a few things here:

• During scheduled downtime, re-introduce the Sonicwall to your network.
    • Start a Lync Logging Tool trace and a Wireshark packet capture on the Lync Front End server and then reproduce the Lync behaviour you saw (failed calls, signing in and out).
    • Put the known good network device back into play (the Netgear), setup another Lync trace and a Wireshark packet capture and reproduce the Lync behaviour again.

After this you can compare the two traces/captures and see what's different and where packets are being dropped etc

• Proposed as answer by Noya Lau Tuesday, February 28, 2012 8:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by Noya Lau Monday, March 5, 2012 5:42 AM
    Thursday, February 23, 2012 9:29 PM