none
What to backup with Exchange DAG (cluster) RRS feed

• Question

• Having Exchange 2010 DAG installed on 2 Virtual servers, synchronizing the databases, I'm now making a backup of only 1 database. Because DAG synchronizes it's database to the second DAG server, I'm wondering if it's necessary to make a backup of both databases. And I'm not quit sure what the meaning of making a Full Backup and A Copy Backup is, when getting to choose to make a backup of both databases.

Can anyone explain if or why both databases need to be backuped, and whats the difference between making a full and copy backup?

Sunday, July 10, 2011 3:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

The differences between a full backup and copy-only is only how logs are truncated.  A FULL backup will cause the logs on the exchange server where the full backup is taken to be truncated, and then exchange will tell the other DAG members to truncate their logs.  A copy-only backup does not initiate log truncation.  So for any DAG database copy, only one should be configured for FULL backup, all other DAG copies should be configured for copy-only backups.

It's certainly not necessary to backup multile DAG menbers, but we give you that choice and flexability so you can ensure logs get truncated should you have an extended outage - especially from a DR perspective where you may have a DAG member and a DPM server in a remote DR site.  You may have the DPM server backup the DR DAG as a copy-only and should the primary site go down, switch to full backup so logs get truncated.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 4:59 PM