none
Editing Task Notes in Project Web App Schedule Page RRS feed

• Question

• In Project Server 2013, is there a way to edit task notes from the project schedule page?  I understand this is very easy to do from Project Professional 2013 and the Tasks Page (for the assigned resource).  I'd like to find an option that doesn't require the project manager to open Project Pro to add notes.

Ideas?

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 3:34 PM

All replies

• Hi Hilljond,

Yes, but you 1st have to add the Notes field into the view - either you need to ask your Project Sever administrator to do this for you, or, if you are the administrator, you can do it.  Note that of course to edit the Notes then the project must be checked out.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 3:57 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I've added the column to the 'Tasks Summary' view but unfortunately the field seems to be uneditable, even when in 'Edit' mode and checked out.  When selected, the 'Notes' cell has a gray box around it (like the ID column does when you select it) instead of the more colorful border that the other editable cells have when you select them.  The same thing is happening in both my dev and production environment.

I've requested verification of my account to post a screenshot.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks so much for your help.

P.S. I watched your whole Project Server 2013 Installation Class on PluralSight.  It was dynamite!

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 7:20 PM
  • Hi Hilljond,

I can verify what you see, I know that the Notes are stored as a "blob" in the SQL database, and so perhaps they are not editable at all in PWA - I remember thinking about this during the time the time I wrote http://www.applepark.co.uk/getting-at-task-notes-in-excel-or-other-reports-from-project-server/ 

As an aside, glad you liked the pluralsight course!

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | P2O

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 9:45 PM
  • Bummer.  Any ideas on workarounds?

Or is there any other area on PWA that a Project Manager can add notes to a task that they are not assigned to?

Thanks again.

JDH

• Edited by hilljond Wednesday, December 24, 2014 4:36 PM
    Wednesday, December 24, 2014 4:35 PM