Duplicate Appended Multi-line Field Values RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working with SP Designer 2010. 

I've created a new form and an edit form for my new issue tracker.  There are two multi-line field in my custom list: "Description" and "Business Impact."  Each has "Append changes to existing text" selected in column settings.  After creating a record and saving it to the list using my new form, two entries (exactly the same, including date/time stamp) appear in the display form (system default) and edit form within the Description and Business Impact fields.

Any ideas/assistance would be appreciated!

Monday, November 21, 2011 6:40 PM

Answers

• Hi MaryRoberts,

I had tested with a custom list new form which is created in SharePoint Designer > Insert tab on the ribbon > SharePoint > Custom List Form > Select new form type and associated list. But it seems no problem when it displays in default display from. And in custom edit form, we need to add following code to see field histories.

<SharePoint:AppendOnlyHistory runat="server" FieldName="field_name" ControlMode="Display"/>

Could you please elaborate it a bit more about how you customize the new form, or could you please recreate one new form for testing?

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, December 2, 2011 5:27 AM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 7:37 AM

All replies

• Hi MaryRoberts,

I had tested with a custom list new form which is created in SharePoint Designer > Insert tab on the ribbon > SharePoint > Custom List Form > Select new form type and associated list. But it seems no problem when it displays in default display from. And in custom edit form, we need to add following code to see field histories.

<SharePoint:AppendOnlyHistory runat="server" FieldName="field_name" ControlMode="Display"/>

Could you please elaborate it a bit more about how you customize the new form, or could you please recreate one new form for testing?

Thanks & Regards,
    Emir

• Marked as answer by Emir Liu Friday, December 2, 2011 5:27 AM
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 7:37 AM
  • I found a solution to this.

My "Multiple Lines of Text" field was being populated through a "Number" field through a JavaScript. Hence, the "Append Changes To Existing Text" behaved differently. I used the "AppendOnlyHistory" SharePoint Control twice in my EditForm.aspx, which is why the entry was being saved twice in the "Multiple Lines of Text". By changing the ID of the "Multiple Lines of Text field" to "AppendOnlyHistory" in the Designer, I was able to restrict it to one entry per edit. This worked for me.

KP

Wednesday, June 24, 2015 3:40 PM