Since when does Outlook 2016 show a web-based login dialog for an IMAP account? RRS feed

• Question

• I updated Outlook 2016 and noticed this dialog the next time I opened it:

Could someone explain the mechanics behind it?

I thought this was set up as simple IMAP account (see screenshots below).  i.e. Outlook on my workstation talks directly to Gmail, using the IMAP and SMTP protocols.  How does Outlook even know what URL to open to bring up that authentication window?  Exactly who am I authorizing to access to my Gmail account?  Who is M365devac@microsoft.com?  I don't use Office 365 or any sort of "hosted" Exchange; I don't want Microsoft accessing my email or any nontraditional "cloud helper services" taking part in delivering it.

EDIT: I just noticed this on my Outlook "About" screen.  Did I just fall victim to some kind of auto-update from Outlook 2016 to "Outlook for Office 365" without noticing it?  (I thought I'd installed regular Office, not click-to-run).

• Edited by rkagerer Tuesday, May 21, 2019 4:03 AM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2019 3:50 AM

All replies

• Are you kidding?

Can someone confirm users are being forced to give access to their email to Microsoft servers in order to continue using IMAP?

Doing that *without asking* would be a huge invasion of privacy and a massive breach of user trust.  Has nobody filed a lawsuit against Microsoft on the matter?

• Edited by rkagerer Tuesday, May 21, 2019 7:01 PM
    Tuesday, May 21, 2019 6:59 PM
  • Hi,

Welcome to our forum.

When we configure a IMAP account on Outlook client, we use the same server/port/Encryption method.

According to the pictures you provide, please provide me with some information so that I can help you better.

Have you installed any version of Office before?

In addition, please follow the steps I provided to test what is the activation status of the Office product you are using now.

1. Run Command Prompt as administrator.
    2. If you are using a 64-bit Office program, please CD to the following path:
      CD %SystemDrive%\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16
    3. Press Enter then type:
      cscript ospp.vbs /dstatus
    4. Then please provide me with all the information you got (screenshot), and the specific information you might get is as follows:

Any update, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 22, 2019 10:07 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got your issue fixed?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    And if you need further assistance on this, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, May 24, 2019 8:29 AM
  • Are you kidding?

Can someone confirm users are being forced to give access to their email to Microsoft servers in order to continue using IMAP?

Doing that *without asking* would be a huge invasion of privacy and a massive breach of user trust.  Has nobody filed a lawsuit against Microsoft on the matter?

Hi,

There is an article explain this for you.

What “Microsoft apps and services” is, and how it enables connection to your email accounts.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Thursday, May 30, 2019 7:13 AM