none
physical memory consumption by the system file cache. RRS feed

• Question

• is there a way to control the physical memory consumption by the system file cache in windows 2008 R2 64 bit

I know that windows 2008 R2 is designed in a way that it automatically regulates it. ( please do not put this as an answer). But that does not seems to happen. I have a windows server 2008 R2 64 bit domain controller which has JUST the operating system installed on it. NO applications whatsoever.

Please help if  there is a way like dynamic memory cache service on windows 2008.

Monday, March 19, 2012 11:52 AM

Answers

All replies

• hello, 

Thanks for your post. 

To work around this issue, use the GetSystemFileCacheSize API function and the SetSystemFileCacheSize API function to set the maximum or minimum size value for the working sets of the system file cache. The use of these functions is the only supported method to restrict the consumption of physical memory by the system file cache.

The Microsoft Windows Dynamic Cache Service is a sample service that demonstrates one strategy to use these APIs to minimize the effects of this issue.

Installing and using the Microsoft Dynamic Cache Service does not cause the exclusion of support for Microsoft Windows. This service and its source code are provided as an example of how to use the Microsoft supported APIs to reduce the growth of the file system cache. 

The service and source code can be downloaded from the following link in the Microsoft Web site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e24ade0a-5efe-43c8-b9c3-5d0ecb2f39af&displaylang=en

Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, March 19, 2012 1:16 PM
  • Hello, 

Please refer this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2021748  may help you. 

Please correct me in time, If  I'm misunderstanding your query. 

Thanks 

Jagadeesh

Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you and remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, March 19, 2012 1:17 PM