none
Adding/Configure IPv6 Anycast Address to Windows Server 2012 R2

Question

• Per RFC 4291 the nodes to which the address is assigned must be explicitly configured to know that it is an anycast address.

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4291#section-2.6

I have two servers (Server 2012R2) that are assigned unique unicast addresses and also share the same 'anycast' address on the same network, however the servers are treating the 'anycast' address as a unicast address (which is to be expected since there was no way, that I could find, that specified the address was anycast).

What is the procedure for adding an anycast address, or flagging a unicast address as an anycast address?

Is this the way? https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh826150(v=wps.630).aspx

The plan is to assign the anycast addresses to the domain controllers then bind the DNS service to the anycast address.

Thank you for your time.

Mediocre Access 2010 | (Baby) Beginner C Sharp | OK at Active Directory (2012 R2) | Fragmented understanding of DNS/DHCP | Laughable experience with Group Policy | Expert question asker on MSDN Forums

Friday, May 12, 2017 2:21 PM

All replies

• I added an anycast address with new-netipaddress and am now unable to select it using set-netipaddress. It throws "When property Type is 2, ValidLifetime and PerferredLifetime can not be set".

Show-netipaddress shows validlifetime and perferredlifetime defaulted to "Infinite ([TimeSpan]::MaxValue)".

Added note: While powershell says the command 'remove-netipaddress' cannot be run, the address no longer shows up in get-netipaddress nor does it respond to pings to that address. Then when the command 'add-netipaddress' is ran, it throws an error that the address already exists on the interface.

Mediocre Access 2010 | (Baby) Beginner C Sharp | OK at Active Directory (2012 R2) | Fragmented understanding of DNS/DHCP | Laughable experience with Group Policy | Expert question asker on MSDN Forums

• Edited by UpTide Friday, May 12, 2017 3:51 PM
    Friday, May 12, 2017 3:36 PM
  • Well my responses are getting to the DNS server now, but the DNS server replys back (with it's unicast address as it's supposed to), saying "ICMPv6 138 Port Unreachable" instead of answering the query. I am also unable to explicitly tell it to respond to queries from the anycast address.

• Edited by UpTide Friday, May 12, 2017 9:23 PM
    Friday, May 12, 2017 9:22 PM
  • Hi UpTide

You could try to use BGP in RRAS to deploy anycast DNS with in a LAN.

Please check this link for your reference:

http://www.rickmayberry.com/windows-server-2012-r2-bgp-and-anycast-dns/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice.Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 15, 2017 8:36 AM
  • Hi UpTide

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 19, 2017 8:38 AM
  • Sadly it isn't helpful because I was asking about implementing anycast as it is explicitly described for the IPv6 protocol in RFC 4291. It seems that Windows supports it, but Windows DNS does not.

Friday, June 16, 2017 6:22 PM