none
V2V a SQL Mirror (2 servers) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,

We have 2 SQL servers set up as mirrors , 1 in one DC and the other in other DC.

We Plan to V2V this (we have to move from one platform/offering (VMWARE) to another which is also VMWARE

will the below plan work

1. v2v offline 2st (passive) node - offline - bring up --> test mirroring.

2. once completed, make second node primary --> switch of the 1st node

3. V2V the 1st node - offline --> bring it online after v2v complete --> test mirroring --> make it primary

is there anything else we need to / should consider ?

Thanks

Thursday, September 8, 2016 12:46 PM

Answers

• You should first Pause mirroring before doing anything. First Virtualize mirror server bring it online and resume mirroring see how it works.

If this is working fine now again pause mirroring and visualize primary server.

IN any case a full backup of both database and server would always be helpful. Its good you have VMWare it is more robust.

I must say I have not done this thing specially with mirroring, done this with Logshipping though

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Saturday, September 10, 2016 5:57 PM
  • Hi,

Hope before you do -
    1.ensure there is latest good backups in place for the sql databases.
    2.Ensure in both the side the databases is in synchornized status(you can see in the principle database side for a database(s) -(principle,syncornized).
    3.It would be good if minimal activities runs in the principle side (or) it would be good if no activities runs as well, because you need to ensure the send queue is not building more.
    4.Do you have witness server in place,if so let me know?.

Once all the things verify then 
    1.Pause the database mirroring then perform the activities ,once done then resume the mirroring - verify the databases in synchornized status(this ensures the send queue which was paused earlier have been propgated) & verify in the sql errorlog -no issues reported.
    2.Perform again the same tasks & verify the same.

But most important thing wanted to know-

1.Is there any shutdown/power off will takes place for the VM,if yes the stepd will differ if not then it would be good as said minimal activities runs nor no activite runs?.
    2.Verify is there witness server for the database mirror in place?.
    3.Is there any synchronization (or)snahpshot going to be replace (or) is that will takes place when you perform?.

Regards, S_NO "_"

Sunday, September 11, 2016 5:16 AM

All replies

• you are looking for a steps which is related to database support,it looks like the information is looks ok(you are performing in 2nd one first and later in 1stone) but it is quite unclear that -what exactly you are looking for?.

ofcourse there are some steps need to be perform before your activities that involves in the database mirroring.

what is the version of SQL server?.

Regards, S_NO "_"

Saturday, September 10, 2016 4:28 PM
  • You should first Pause mirroring before doing anything. First Virtualize mirror server bring it online and resume mirroring see how it works.

If this is working fine now again pause mirroring and visualize primary server.

IN any case a full backup of both database and server would always be helpful. Its good you have VMWare it is more robust.

I must say I have not done this thing specially with mirroring, done this with Logshipping though

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Saturday, September 10, 2016 5:57 PM
  • Hi,

Hope before you do -
    1.ensure there is latest good backups in place for the sql databases.
    2.Ensure in both the side the databases is in synchornized status(you can see in the principle database side for a database(s) -(principle,syncornized).
    3.It would be good if minimal activities runs in the principle side (or) it would be good if no activities runs as well, because you need to ensure the send queue is not building more.
    4.Do you have witness server in place,if so let me know?.

Once all the things verify then 
    1.Pause the database mirroring then perform the activities ,once done then resume the mirroring - verify the databases in synchornized status(this ensures the send queue which was paused earlier have been propgated) & verify in the sql errorlog -no issues reported.
    2.Perform again the same tasks & verify the same.

But most important thing wanted to know-

1.Is there any shutdown/power off will takes place for the VM,if yes the stepd will differ if not then it would be good as said minimal activities runs nor no activite runs?.
    2.Verify is there witness server for the database mirror in place?.
    3.Is there any synchronization (or)snahpshot going to be replace (or) is that will takes place when you perform?.

Regards, S_NO "_"

Sunday, September 11, 2016 5:16 AM