How to change the default voicemail greeting? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We need to change the default Exchange UM voicemail greating, "please leave a message for <name surname>" - there are privacy concerns about matching phone extensions with specific persons.

I was, however, unable to figure out a way to do this except for each and every employee to record their own message themselves, which is impractical to say the least.

I have found the first part of the greeting message in the form of a tuiSystemGreeting.1.wav file, however the text-to-speech conversion of the mailbox owner's name is still appended at the end, so this is only a partial solution.

Is there anything that can be done?

Thursday, August 25, 2016 2:47 PM

Answers

• Damn, it's like writing here makes problems magically go away even if I've spend days on them prior.

So, turns out that setting the msDS-PhoneticDisplayName to a blank space makes the TTS greeting part go silent. 

Obviously this is only a partial solution, because this may break a lot of other UM voice menus, but I think it will work for me this time.

Thanks for setting me on the right track again, Anthony.

• Marked as answer by Vasily T Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:43 PM
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:35 PM

All replies

• Not that I'm aware of, other than changing the AD name to the phone number or enabling a separate mailbox for this voicemail.  

You could I suppose reset everyone's PIN, and hire an intern, kid, or whomever is cheap to record all greetings... then make it part of the provisioning process going forward.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 2:55 PM
  • Man, does this seem weird... Seems like a simple and logical enough option.

Thank you, anyway. Maybe someone else has any suggestions?

I've tried digging into the .fsm files but wasn't able to find the parts related to that specific greeting. 

I've also tried modifying the SpeechGrammarFilterList.xml file in the hopes of tricking the TTS system into translating the names to silence, but to no avail.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:11 PM
  • Damn, it's like writing here makes problems magically go away even if I've spend days on them prior.

So, turns out that setting the msDS-PhoneticDisplayName to a blank space makes the TTS greeting part go silent. 

Obviously this is only a partial solution, because this may break a lot of other UM voice menus, but I think it will work for me this time.

Thanks for setting me on the right track again, Anthony.

• Marked as answer by Vasily T Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:43 PM
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:35 PM
  • That... is... brilliant.  :)  I suppose it would kill speech enabled directory lookups if those were important.  If you blog, blog that.  If you don't, I'll blog it.  Don't forget to mark yourself as answer.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote" on the left side of the response, and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, SWC, their employees, or other MVPs.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:39 PM
  • Go ahead and blog it, spread the word :)
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 3:43 PM