Ipod Nano Not Being Recognized/Locking Mouse RRS feed

• Question

• Just bought an Ipod Nano yesterday and plugged it into my HP Pavilion using the USB connector.  My computer is running Vista Business with the latest updates. Everytime I plug in the Ipod USB my mouse locks up and the Ipod is not recognized, by Itunes or anything else. Once I unplug the Ipod I can unplug the mouse (USB wireless) and it'll start working again. What can I do to fix this?
    Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:59 PM

All replies

• What's the PC's model number?

Does the same thing happen if you plug in a USB flash drive? (in place of the iPod)

• Proposed as answer by wiz13 Saturday, January 10, 2009 11:31 AM
    Saturday, July 7, 2007 7:38 PM
  • I am having the same issue. usb drives are not recognized... and the ipod nano is not recognized.

Tuesday, September 25, 2007 5:15 AM
  • Make sure C:\Windows\inf\usbstor.inf is present. If not, search the entire HDD for it C:\dir usbstor.inf /s via command prompt and copy the file back into the C:\windows\inf directory. If you still can't find it, get a copy of the file from a friend who has windows vista.

Saturday, October 6, 2007 8:16 PM
  • can someone help me with same problem... my mouse doesn't lock up , my computer doesn't recognize the device...

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 5:21 PM
  • I'm getting similar proble. Ipod nano when connected seems to interfere withthe wireless mouse.  It freezes or gets "sticky" and is very slow to respond.  I've tried other devices in the USB port they don't seem to have the same effect.  Changing batteties and resetting the mouse seem to have no effect and nether does swapping around the USB ports used.  So it looks as if the Ipod nano is interfering in some way with the wireless mouse.  Could it be a power issue?

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 9:46 PM
  •  

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 9:46 PM
  • I tried your solution but no luck. I found the files ok. Device manager shows the nano but I cannot load anything to drive it. My older ipod works fine.

Saturday, December 29, 2007 5:23 PM
  • Buzzard56,

If you open Device Manager, do you have more than one mouse/pointing devices listed?

-Tony Mann

Sunday, January 6, 2008 5:28 AM
  • I got an iPod over Christmas and I can tell you what I discovered.  I could not do anything with it until I downloaded iTunes from the website.  Didn't make me happy that it seems to be an iPod programme only mp3 player, but I hope that helps and solves your problem.

Sunday, January 20, 2008 2:10 AM
  • Sunday, January 27, 2008 3:14 AM
  • I also had problems. I did get all my music to go to my ipod. I clicked on file in  itunes then chose import folder and clicked on music. It took awhile and duplicated some of the songs but it worked. I also did it the hard way and burned the songs and added to ipod that way. The importing it really worked though i used it again today. hope this helpful.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 11:37 AM
  • I also had problems with the transfering from media player. I was able to finally get it to work. so what I did was, in itunes clickes on file in upper left corner. Then i clicked on add folder to library. a menu shows with your documents and all that  choose music. when i did it asked if i wanted to convert it to my device, clicked yes and it took a long time to put it all on and a couple of songs got duplicated. Way better then how i did it before. I burned them on cd's then did it that way. Hope this is helpful. I just poked around and did trial and error. computers now days won't let you mess them up too much. It still worked a second time i tried still took a little poking. good luck.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 11:48 AM