locked
Excel Web Access - App Pool Keeps Erroring RRS feed

  • Question

  • First, some background.  I have a single web-front/ssp for my app.  I have the port 80 web app, the 8080 SSP1, and the 8081 WebService SSP1.  The 8081 SSP1 is the one I will refer to from here out.

    Users are reporting to me that they're getting errors when they try to open Excel docs using the web front-end instead of Excel.  The error is simply "An error has occurred. Please contact your system administrator if this problem persists. "  Looking at the event logs, I'm also getting the 3 errors:

    Event Type:        Error
    Event Source:     Office SharePoint Server
    Event Category:  Excel Services Web Front End 
    Event ID:   5231
    Date:        XXXXXX
    Time:        XXXXXX 
    User:         N/A
    Computer:  XXXXXX 
    Description:
    Unable to reach Excel Calculation Services http:// XXXXXX /SharedServices2/ExcelCalculationServer/ExcelService.asmx.
    [Session: (null)
    User: XXXXXX \ XXXXXX]
     
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. 
     
    Event Type:        Error
    Event Source:     Office SharePoint Server
    Event Category:  Excel Services Web Front End 
    Event ID:   5234
    Date:        XXXXXX 
    Time:        XXXXXX 
    User:         N/A
    Computer:  XXXXXX
    Description:
    No Excel Calculation Services is available in the farm.[User: XXXXXX \ XXXXXX]
     
    For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
     
    Event Type:        Error
    Event Source:     Office SharePoint Server
    Event Category:  Excel Services Web Front End 
    Event ID:   5239
    Date:        XXXXXX
    Time:        XXXXXX 
    User:         N/A
    Computer:  XXXXXX
    Description:
    There was an error in communicating with Excel Calculation Services http://XXXXXX /SharedServices2/ExcelCalculationServer/ExcelService.asmx exception: The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable.
    [Session: (null)
    User: XXXXXX \XXXXXX].


    At this point, I see that the app pool was stopped and that it has the red triangle on it and the status just shows "Unspecified error".  I restart the app pool, try to open an Excel doc using web front-end, and the cycle repeats.

    I've tried making sure all of the permissions on the component service objects (OSearch, SharedAccess, SSPSearch) was correct, I've made sure that the usernames and passwords for all 3 app pools were good, setting them through Central Admin -> Operations -> Service Accounts and via the Identity tab of the app pool, and making sure that the properties on the IIS website for the WS SSP was correct.  I've changed and verified the passwords for all of the services on the server (search, etc), and on the 8080 SSP I've made sure the password was set right on the Search Administration settings. 

    Has anyone else run across this?  Is there a password change I'm missing here?

    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 3:45 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Hi,

     

    Have you tried to update the SSP Service Credentials?

    If not, please refer to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263409.aspx

     

    Also check as following:

    1.      Whether the Excel Calculation Service is started in “Services in Farm” section.

    If it was started, try to restart this service.

    2.      Check the OfficeServerApplicationPool in IIS and restarted it.

     

    If the issue insists, please restart the server running Excel Services Application.

    For more information, please refer to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee513104(office.14).aspx

     

    Hope this helps

     

    Thanks!

    Stanfford

     

    • Marked as answer by BGriffeth Monday, April 5, 2010 4:11 PM
    Friday, April 2, 2010 7:20 AM
  • The SSP Service Credentials got it, thanks!

    After clicking on that link, I then got a message that the user didn't have permission to use Excel Services on the current site.  I added the site to the Excel Trusted locations paths and everything works great now!

    Thanks a BUNCH!

    Monday, April 5, 2010 4:13 PM