none
Unable to Check Disk on System Drive

Question

• I have a VMWare virtual machine running Windows Server 2008.

The system partition is marked with dirty

When I schedule a chkdsk /f /r C: I get a message on boot up that says "Cannot open volume for direct access".

At first I though it was the AV, so I uninstalled the AV (clean uninstall) then tried again but it had the same result.

I also tried mounting the virtual disk to another VM and do the check disk from there but when I assign a drive letter (from disk management) it throws an error message saying "the parameter is incorrect"

Now, it is important to know that the system is a virtual Machine, the system disk is a virtual disk. Any ideas on fixing the issue?

This is causing backup issues for this server.

For God, and Country.

Thursday, May 24, 2018 5:30 AM

All replies

• I'd also try from the 2008 recovery console command prompt

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, May 24, 2018 1:23 PM
  • Hi,
     volume's dirty bit indicates that the file system may be in an inconsistent state. The dirty bit can be set because:
    The volume is online and it has outstanding changes.

Changes were made to the volume and the computer was shut down before the changes were committed to the disk.

Corruption was detected on the volume.

If the dirty bit is set when the computer restarts, chkdsk runs to verify the file system integrity and to attempt to fix any issues with the volume.

In your scenario, the chkdsk couldn't run and even  uninstalled the AV. I'm afraid you may need to consider to create a new virtual disk. And recovery the data from backup.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 25, 2018 3:05 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Mary

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 28, 2018 9:12 AM
  • It is important to know that the Disk that is being reported as dirty is a virtual disk and none of the any vm that has their virtual disk located in the same physical RAID volume has this issue.

For God, and Country.

Monday, June 4, 2018 8:17 AM
  • It is important to know that the Disk that is being reported as dirty is a virtual disk and none of the any vm that has their virtual disk located in the same physical RAID volume has this issue.

They're two different and separate file systems. I'd also try running chkdsk /f from the 2008 virtual machine recovery console command prompt.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, June 4, 2018 11:41 AM
  • We've tried that, but still the same issue "Cannot open volume for direct access"

For God, and Country.

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 3:27 AM
  • You may have some process on the VMWare side causing the blocking.

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 12:10 PM