Converting 2008 R2 to a VM using disk2vhd RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm having a strange issue converting a 2008 R2 server installed on IBM BladeCenter HS22 using disk2vhd and launching a VM

on ProLiant DL380 Gen10 Server 2016 Hyper-V production host that has currently 6 VMs running on it without any issues. 

With GEN 1 the VM stops with a blank screen and a blinking cursor right after pressing the start button.

With GEN 2 I get the following error: 

Virtual Machine Boot Summary

1. SCSI Disk  (0,0)                             NO x64-based UEFI boot loader was found.

2. Network Adapter (00155DFE171C)   The network media is disconnected

I'm not connecting this VM to the network because I currently have a physical production server on the same network and just

testing to see if I could convert it to a VM.

Thank you!

• Edited by Etoya Thursday, November 14, 2019 4:55 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 4:45 PM

Answers

• You might want to ask experts in dedicated forum over here.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=disk2vhd

or possibly try other tools, but also note P2V by any method should be a last resort effort. Better option is to clean install operating system on destination host, patch fully and migrate roles or applications over to it.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 4:53 PM

All replies

• You might want to ask experts in dedicated forum over here.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=disk2vhd

or possibly try other tools, but also note P2V by any method should be a last resort effort. Better option is to clean install operating system on destination host, patch fully and migrate roles or applications over to it.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 4:53 PM
  • Will do, thanks for the tip!
    • Edited by Etoya Thursday, November 14, 2019 5:25 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 5:19 PM
  • You're welcome.

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Thursday, November 14, 2019 5:22 PM
  • Hi,

Hope you can find your answer in other forum.

Please let us know if you would like any other assistance regarding hyper-v.

Best Regards,

Lily

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 15, 2019 2:39 AM
  • So spent 2 days on forums and google trying every possible solution, what worked for me in the end was a combination of Acronis Backup 12.5 and Acronis Boot Media ISO.Here are the steps:

1. Run entire machine backup using Acronis (free fully supported 30-day trial)

2. Create a VM with a fixed size disk slightly larger then the disk on a physical server. My SQL server was 557GB and I created 600GB .VHD

3. Install same version of the OS on a new VM as the physical server being converted, in my case it was 2008 R2

4. Boot your VM off Acronis BOOT media ISO, choose "Rescue Media"

5. Restore your server from Acronis backup using restore to dissimilar hardware option.

That's all

Friday, November 22, 2019 3:31 PM