Getting started with Hyper-V RRS feed

• Question

• I'm looking to become more familiar with Hyper-V to help me pass my 2012 MSCE test. I want to install sever 2012 Server eval VMs to help setup a test environment to help me pass my test and become a expert in Hyper-V and Windows 2012 server. This has been a very painful experience just trying to find out how and what to install. I now have Hyper-V installed on a very powerful machine and on a separate machine running Windows 7 pro I have Hyper-V manager. How do I go about getting VMs installed and how do log into them your Hyper-V? This so easy using Vmware but trying to stay native to MS vm technology so for has been very disappointing.
    Monday, July 8, 2013 3:22 PM

All replies

• A much better place for Hyper-V questions is here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?forum=winserverhyperv

Hyper-V is very easy to manage with Windows Server 2012.  You just use the built-in Hyper-V Management console.  I'm assuming you installed Hyper-V server 2012 and not Windows Server 2012.  Configuring Hyper-V server is a little complicated, but there is a how-to link under Announcements at the top of the forum I posted above.

For remote access, Windows 8 is a better choice.  Windows 7 is limited with what it can manage via Hyper-V.

Since you're new, I'd suggest you install Windows Server 2012 eval as the host OS and get familiar with Hyper-V through local Windows GUI before you try using Hyper-V server with no GUI.  Otherwise, if you stick with Hyper-V server, get a Windows 8 system for management.  All the new features in Hyper-V 2012 are not accessible from the Win7 Hyper-V manager.  Everything works the best in a domain environment versus a workgroup.

Creating VMs is fairly simple. You log in via the Hyper-V console to the hyper-V server and create a VM.  You'll need either an ISO or DVD install media.

Monday, July 8, 2013 5:57 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. I know late with my thanks but I just saw this.
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:40 PM