none
Remove an item from the DPM Protected Server List RRS feed

• Question

• Running DPM 2010. Here is the setup. I have 2 DPM Servers in separate locations. A Server and B Server. Both of those servers replicate offsite to C Server. Everything has been working great. Last week, I was running out of space on A Server, so here is what I did.

Unprotected the job from C Server.

Deleted the Job from A Server. Removed the agent. Recovered the space.

Added the agent to B Server and then created a new job. Job ran successfully.

Deleted the job from C Server and removed all the backup data.

Now when I go to try and create a new job, pointing it to the B Server, that server doesnt show up. It still shows up under the A Servrer. Any ideas?

Monday, October 15, 2012 2:07 PM

Answers

• Hi

Moving protected servers between DPM servers while under secondary protection is not supported.

SEE COMMUNITY CONTENT UNDER:

Setting up DPM Chaining
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg410636.aspx

Please Wait  Please Wait

PS1 - Protected Serve-1
    PS2 - Protected Server-2
    DPM1 - Primary DPM Server-1
    DPM2 - Primary DPM Server-2
    DPM-DR - Secondary DR DPM Server

Consider the following:

PS1 is being protected by DPM1
    PS2 is being protected by DPM2
    DPM-DR is secondarily protecting PS1, and PS2 on DPM1 and DPM2.

Senario-1
    =======
    DPM1 fails or is removed from the configuration and you want DPM2 to now be the primary DPM Server for PS1 and have DPM-DR secondarily protect it.

Senario-2
    =======
    DPM1 fails or is removed from the configuration and you want DPM-DR to now be the primary DPM Server for PS1

Both of the above Senarios are unsupported.

The only supported options for these senarios are:

A) Switch protection on DPM-DR for PS1 and let DPM-DR be the primary server for that data source going forward.
    (NOTE: You cannot add secondary protection for PS1 on another DPM-DR2 server)

B) Rebuid the failed DPM1 server using same name and restoring SQL DPMDB from a good backup. This will allow DPM1 resume primary protection.

C) Move PS1 to a new DPM3 server that DPM-DR does not know about.

With the above said, if you call support we do have some sql scripts that can clean up the DPM-DR server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, October 27, 2012 1:45 PM

All replies

• Guess this must be a real hard issue to solve. Does anyone have any ideas or can they point me in the right direction? I dont want to have to remove the agents and then re-add them hoping it refreshes.
    Monday, October 22, 2012 2:55 PM
  • Hi

Moving protected servers between DPM servers while under secondary protection is not supported.

SEE COMMUNITY CONTENT UNDER:

Setting up DPM Chaining
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg410636.aspx

Please Wait  Please Wait

PS1 - Protected Serve-1
    PS2 - Protected Server-2
    DPM1 - Primary DPM Server-1
    DPM2 - Primary DPM Server-2
    DPM-DR - Secondary DR DPM Server

Consider the following:

PS1 is being protected by DPM1
    PS2 is being protected by DPM2
    DPM-DR is secondarily protecting PS1, and PS2 on DPM1 and DPM2.

Senario-1
    =======
    DPM1 fails or is removed from the configuration and you want DPM2 to now be the primary DPM Server for PS1 and have DPM-DR secondarily protect it.

Senario-2
    =======
    DPM1 fails or is removed from the configuration and you want DPM-DR to now be the primary DPM Server for PS1

Both of the above Senarios are unsupported.

The only supported options for these senarios are:

A) Switch protection on DPM-DR for PS1 and let DPM-DR be the primary server for that data source going forward.
    (NOTE: You cannot add secondary protection for PS1 on another DPM-DR2 server)

B) Rebuid the failed DPM1 server using same name and restoring SQL DPMDB from a good backup. This will allow DPM1 resume primary protection.

C) Move PS1 to a new DPM3 server that DPM-DR does not know about.

With the above said, if you call support we do have some sql scripts that can clean up the DPM-DR server.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, October 27, 2012 1:45 PM
  • I have no clue as to what this means. What I get from this is that I need to re-do the entire job? This is a reason that DPM is so hated. I remove a job from one DPM server, delete the agent, essentially unprotecting it. I then remove that job and all association to that job from the Protected server. Add the job to another server and I can not protect it because it still shows protection on the old server. So I need to re-do all the jobs so that it refreshes? How stupid is that? It seems that there is no way to make this happen, no matter what I do with agents etc. That one job will always be associated with A, even though its being backed up successfully on B, and there is no way ever to get it to C, because C still sees it on A, even though its not there, because it is on B. Oh how we all love DPM!
    Monday, November 5, 2012 4:08 PM