pool pairing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I got a question regarding solution for 2 Data Centers (one for active work, second one as backup one) with Skype for Business on premise.

Let's say that we can deploy as much servers as we want :)

In first data center:

LAN1:

FE Pool 1 with 3 FE servers

SQL server (how many?)

DMZ1:

2 Edge servers and Reverse Proxy

In second data center:

LAN2:

FE Pool 2 with 3 FE servers

SQL server (how many?)

DMZ2:

2 Edge servers and Reverse Proxy

I assume that we need to pair FE Pool 1 with FE Pool 2 so we configure pool pairing.

How should we prepare the SQL servers and how will the disaster recovery look like for SQL servers?

Thank you in advance for responses.

Tuesday, November 13, 2018 10:11 PM

All replies

• Hi iron_flower,

As to the disaster recovery options in Skype for Business Server, it could be achieved by deploying pairs of Front End pools across two sites as you did. By the way, the pool pairing only points to the front end pool in two sites, so the edge server and reverse proxy have no need to deploy in pairs.

Each site has a Front End pool which is paired with a corresponding Front End pool in the other site. Both sites are active, and the Backup Service provides real-time data replication to keep the pools synchronized.

Please see Deploy paired Front End pools for disaster recovery in Skype for Business Server if you want to implement Front End pool pairing.

Besides, Skype for Business Server supports four modes of high availability for your Back End Servers: SQL mirroring, AlwaysOn Availability Groups, AlwaysOn Failover Cluster Instances (FCI), and SQL failover clustering.

You could choose one of the four modes to deploy back end servers which is based on the actual environment, please refer to this article regarding the back end server high availability.

And please kindly note that if you use Back End Server high availability on a Front End pool that is paired with another Front End pool for disaster recovery, you should use the same Back End high availability solution in both pools.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Calvin-Liu Wednesday, November 14, 2018 9:07 AM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 9:03 AM
  • Hi,

thank you for answer.

I know the methods.

I asked about amount of SQL servers that should be used.

Regards,

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 11:14 AM
  • Hi,

Its depend on the high availability solution you need.

For better HA, I would suggest for two nodes cluster(always on or failover cluster) and a witness (for automatic failover. if this needs to be manual, no need of another server and you would need admin efforts). 

Please mark as answer/useful if my contribution helps you.

• Proposed as answer by Calvin-Liu Monday, December 17, 2018 6:08 AM
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 1:25 PM
  • Hi,

Are there any update for this query, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who have similar issue. :) 

Kind regards, 

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018 10:31 AM