Unread mail problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We are using Microsoft Office365 Bussiness. I have unread mail problem with outlook 2016 

My outlook version is 2016 (16.0.8528.2126) 32 bit and update version is 1709 (Build 8528.2147)

When I click unread mail shortcut, I can see for example 4 unread mail, I read all mail and unread mail shortcut do not prompt anything, it shows 0 unread mail but when I click unread mail shortcut it shows 4 read mail in it. At the same time I filtered inbox with unread mail and it shows 4 read mail.

If I read 3 of them, unread mail shortcut shows 1 unread and 3 read mail. It must show only 1 unread mail.

I delete profile and make set it again, I update all office and windows, I uninstall office and install again but all results were same.

In the picture, unread mail shows 1 read mail.

Do you have any idea?

How can I make outlook to show correct unread mails?

Thank you.

Hasan SALCIAV

• Moved by Steve Fan Thursday, November 2, 2017 1:57 AM move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 2:48 PM

Answers

• Hi All,

I uninstall office, delete all folders under program files, programdata and appdata. Clean registry and download it from outlook.office again. Now it works fine but I still do not know what was the problem.

Best regards.

Hasan SALCIAV

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, November 7, 2017 9:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Hasan SALCIAV Tuesday, November 7, 2017 11:01 AM
    Friday, November 3, 2017 6:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Hasan,

By "unread mail shortcut" do you mean the 'Unread Mail' search folder in Outlook folder list pane (the left pane)?

Do you mean emails remain in Unread Mail search folder after marking them as read? If this is the case, I'm afraid this is the normal behavior in Outlook. You will have to press F5 to manually refresh the view. Or, you can switch to another folder and switch back.

If I've misunderstood something, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 2, 2017 8:56 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Yes, I try to say unread mail search folder.

I already did it, press F5, but it still shows the mails (read mail not bold). And when I read some of them, the counter decreas and show in the folder some read and unread mails. I think the normal behaviour is when refesh, just show unread mails.

Thank you.

Regards.

Hasan SALCIAV

Thursday, November 2, 2017 9:26 AM
  • Hello!

Run

outlook.exe /cleanviews

This cleans the internal viewstate and  i think it will resolve the problem. I worked in the past for me.

WARNING: Running this command will also reset any custom views.

Best Regards

João Pinto

Thursday, November 2, 2017 9:26 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for forgot to say.

I did it also and it did not affect anything :(

Best regards.

Hasan SALCIAV

Thursday, November 2, 2017 9:46 AM
  • Read the following link:

The answer with the image:

https://superuser.com/questions/577858/how-to-fix-the-wrong-number-of-unread-emails-flag-in-outlook

Thursday, November 2, 2017 11:42 AM
  • Hi Joao,

I do not have any problem with number of unread mail notification. It shows alway correct.

My problem is, there are unread and read mails in unread mail searchbox.

When I read them, it is still appearing in unread mail searchbox. I did also F5 and nothing changed.

Regards.

Hasan SALCIAV

Thursday, November 2, 2017 1:40 PM
  • Hi All,

I uninstall office, delete all folders under program files, programdata and appdata. Clean registry and download it from outlook.office again. Now it works fine but I still do not know what was the problem.

Best regards.

Hasan SALCIAV

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, November 7, 2017 9:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Hasan SALCIAV Tuesday, November 7, 2017 11:01 AM
    Friday, November 3, 2017 6:29 AM
  • I'm afraid it could be hard to find the root cause as we couldn't reproduce the issue after so many tries. Anyway, good to hear that the issue has disappeared. You could keep monitor the issue, if it came back, feel free to let us know.

Thanks,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 9:56 AM
  • Hi Steve,

I do have the same problema and it started when I upgraded to Office 365: the F5 key stopped working to refresh the view, taking away any read mails and leaving just the unread ones. I've had the same problem in different PC's always with Outlook 2016 or Office 365.

So I begun thinking that this is something intentional from Microsoft: I mean to deactivate the F5 "refresh" function.

Of course, if ones switch to another folder and then back to the "unread mail" search folder again, the problem is solved: the read mail dissapears. But it was easier to press F5 only.

Is it that F5 has been replaced by another keyboard shortcut?

Kind REgards,

Tuesday, March 27, 2018 11:50 PM