none
Restoring a Primary DPM database onto a rebuilt server RRS feed

• Question

• e have had our primary DPM server crash, something went horribly wrong. We want to toast our exisitig DPM server, replace the OS, reinstall DPM, and then try and restore the SQL data that was backed up from our primary to our secondary. Problem 1: The Primary server is no longer listed anywhere in the secondary dpm server; but I am sure that the replicas and recovery points for the primary dpm server are still sitting on the disks that dpm uses. Problem 2: The cmdlet help sucks; their help files go around in circles with no clarifying statements at all. I have used get-recoverypoints and seen a list of all the various recovery points available, our primary dpm server name is listed there, so I am assuming that there is valid data there. I want to isolate that information, so I can try and develop a plan to move forward. I still have replicas and recovery points on the Primary DPM server, so I was thinking of trying to salvage that. I think I need to rebuild, re-install DPM 2010 fresh, restore the SQL DB from Secondary DPM to new Primary DPM, and then re-sync that newly restored SQL db to the data that ( hopefully) remains untouched during this process...Does this sound reasonable ? I am trying to use the "get-recoverableitem" cmdlet ; and I have it at a point where it asks me for a dpmsservername, then browsetype; but I have not been able to find any documentation about what the valid options are for this item, nevermind the ones past it. I need to get this resolved, and on a seperate note; for the life of me, I cant understand why MS would release such a complicated, convoluted, improperly documented beast; when a company's life blood depends on it. Something as simple as backup and restore, should not take 40 plus hours to figure out, which I have NOT been able to do, and it should NEVER have a single point of failure (the agents), whch is what crashed ours in the first place. IF somebody has some help on this, I would GREATLY appreciate it.
    • Moved by MarcReynolds Friday, September 10, 2010 1:08 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 3:04 PM

Answers

• Hi Rick

As I understand you don't got the DPMDB from the other DPM server. Unfortunatley there is now easy way of doing that since the volume ID's from the old disk is connected to the protection groups of the old DPM servers database. If you don't got it you won't be able to restore the primary DPM server. 

The best thing you can do now is to install a new OS and a new DPM server, starting from scratch.

In the feature, backup the DPMDB from the secondary DPM server or use the DpmBackup utility located in the BIN catalouge of your DPM server installation. With this utility you will dump your DPMDB database.

If you got any other questions please post them and I will do my best of answering them.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hi

After installing DPM use the CMDLET DpmSync [-RestoreDb -DbLoc location [-InstanceName server\instance ] ] to restore the DPMDB.

Also run DpmSync -sync from an elevated DOS prompt.

Do you got your DPM database?

Thursday, September 9, 2010 3:10 PM
  • Thanks for the reply: I just read thru your blog. I saw the post also regarding Server 2008 and dynamic disks; we are using 2008 R2, so it does not apply, but good to know. I also saw the note on how to allow DPM to back itself up; also good to know. We just found out, thru discussion, that the secondary was never told to start grabbing the RTM sql primary db, it was still set to backup the rc and rceval sql databases :( So... Here is my next question: Is it possible to install (NEW), fresh OS, fresh DPM2010 (complete with new SQL db) and then tell THAT new sql db instance to resync with the previously captured backup data contained on the Dynamic disk that the Primary DPM server was using? I am still learning, however I think that is the really critical question at this point...
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 3:35 PM
  • Hi Rick

As I understand you don't got the DPMDB from the other DPM server. Unfortunatley there is now easy way of doing that since the volume ID's from the old disk is connected to the protection groups of the old DPM servers database. If you don't got it you won't be able to restore the primary DPM server. 

The best thing you can do now is to install a new OS and a new DPM server, starting from scratch.

In the feature, backup the DPMDB from the secondary DPM server or use the DpmBackup utility located in the BIN catalouge of your DPM server installation. With this utility you will dump your DPMDB database.

If you got any other questions please post them and I will do my best of answering them.

BR

Robert Hedblom

Tuesday, September 14, 2010 9:25 AM