none
DPM 2012 - Tapes not being fully used RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

I have a odd issue with my backups. I have a short term to disk protection policy setup and a long term to tape. I have 2 x Protection groups setup and do not want co-location as we have different retention requirements. Here are my problems:

• I have a library attached and put in 2 x tapes on a Friday, it see's the tapes but puts the first job it does over both of the tapes leaving me with no tape for my 2nd protection group
    • It doesn't put all the data on a tape. It is LTO5 and even tho I have compression setup on the protection group it will only fill to the point a uncompressed tape would use
    • It doesn't finish all the jobs as it seems to object to System Protection backups

Any advice greatly appreciate

Thanks 

James

Thursday, August 30, 2012 4:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can enable DPM Verbose logging, then manually start a tape backup of a datasource that is in a protection group that has tape compesssion option checked.  Once the backup starts writing data to the drive, you can open the msdpmcurr.errlog in notepad and search for the string:  TapeInfo DriveAccessPath=

It should show that the MTASetMedia command set the block size to 65536, and HWcompression to true on the drive we're writing to.

[Example showing HWCompression was set to true]

<TapeInfo DriveAccessPath=""\\.\Tape2147483646"" PhysicalBlockSize=""65536"" HWCompression=""true"" xmlns=""http://schemas.microsoft.com/2003/dls/MediaManager/StorageXMLSchema.xsd"" />
        </StorageXml> 

If you see that, then DPM did it's job and it's up to the tape drive to honor the request and compress data as written.

To enable full VERBOSE logging, under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager, add a DWORD value named TraceLogLevel and set it to 0x43e, then stop and restart the msdpm and dpmra services.   The DPM log files will now contain MUCH MORE logging to help troubleshoot issues without requiring a DPM trace.

DPM 2010 Logs are in the C:\program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\temp folder
    DPM 2012 logs are in the C:\program Files\System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\temp folder.

After you reprodice the problem, be sure delete or rename the TraceLogLevel registry setting and restart the DPM services so normal (non-Verbose) logging resumes.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, September 10, 2012 11:05 PM

All replies

• Can anyone help me with this?
    Monday, September 3, 2012 3:32 PM
  • Hi,

<snip>
    It doesn't put all the data on a tape. It is LTO5 and even tho I have compression setup on the protection group it will only fill to the point a uncompressed tape would use.
    >snip<

When you select the option to enable compression, DPM simply sends a command down to the tape drive to enable hardware compression at the beginning of the tape backup job, it's up to the tape drive to honor the command and compress data as written (assuming the data is compressable).   Please try updating the tape drive drivers and see if that helps. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, September 3, 2012 3:42 PM
  • Hi Mike 

Apologies for the delay in replying. I looked at the drivers etc and all looked ok. My most pressing concern is that the backups are using 2 tapes for a protection group backup and not one for each of my 2 protection groups I have told it to backup.

Can you provide any advice on what to check?

Thanks 

James

Monday, September 10, 2012 9:11 AM
  • Hi,

You can enable DPM Verbose logging, then manually start a tape backup of a datasource that is in a protection group that has tape compesssion option checked.  Once the backup starts writing data to the drive, you can open the msdpmcurr.errlog in notepad and search for the string:  TapeInfo DriveAccessPath=

It should show that the MTASetMedia command set the block size to 65536, and HWcompression to true on the drive we're writing to.

[Example showing HWCompression was set to true]

<TapeInfo DriveAccessPath=""\\.\Tape2147483646"" PhysicalBlockSize=""65536"" HWCompression=""true"" xmlns=""http://schemas.microsoft.com/2003/dls/MediaManager/StorageXMLSchema.xsd"" />
        </StorageXml> 

If you see that, then DPM did it's job and it's up to the tape drive to honor the request and compress data as written.

To enable full VERBOSE logging, under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager, add a DWORD value named TraceLogLevel and set it to 0x43e, then stop and restart the msdpm and dpmra services.   The DPM log files will now contain MUCH MORE logging to help troubleshoot issues without requiring a DPM trace.

DPM 2010 Logs are in the C:\program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\temp folder
    DPM 2012 logs are in the C:\program Files\System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\temp folder.

After you reprodice the problem, be sure delete or rename the TraceLogLevel registry setting and restart the DPM services so normal (non-Verbose) logging resumes.

Monday, September 10, 2012 11:05 PM
  • Many thanks Mike, your articles online and help here are invaluable. Could this also point to why it uses two tapes as opposed to one. I find it odd that it doesn't fill one tape to capacity but instead spreads the backups evenly/
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:18 AM
  • Hi,

If you keep the verbose logging on for the duration of the tape backup jobs, it should detail switching tapes as well, so you can take a look and see if you can figure out why we changed media when we did.  If you search for "EOM hit: 1"  that means we hit end of media.

Tuesday, September 11, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Hi Mike 

I did the change to the reg key and I couldn't find any of that in the logs. Am I correct in thinking that it goes MSDPCUR to MSDPMxxx once it has filled. 

Thanks 

James 
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 10:48 AM
  • Hi,

Use the find command from a command prompt.

1) cd to the location of the DPM logs.

2) Run:  Find /I "TapeInfo DriveAccessPath=" msdpm*.errlog

That string should be found at the beginning of ever tape backup job if verbose logging is enabled properly.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:34 PM
  • Hi all,

Can anyone help me to configure compress backup with scdpm 2012.

Thanks.

Tuesday, December 4, 2012 5:35 AM