Problem with Windows Vista Boot Manager RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Acer Laptop running Windows Vista Home Permium. Two days ago i started experiencing a problem when booting this machine.  The process goes as far as windows boot manager where it lists windows vista as the one choice.  This pages does not time out and load the OS. When I press enter, the OS starts to load however 5 or 6 loud beeeps come from the speaker and then a different looking log-in screen appears, one in which the password field is already filled in.  I can not delete these characters.  When I press enter I get a clue as to what my passowrd should be entered as however the password field is immediately filled in by some unknown process.

I can eventually get the system to empty the password field by continuing to enter the nonsense that the system is entering on its own. I then enter the right password and the system loads Vista and everything appears normal.

This has happened two days in a row and is very frustrating.

Anyone have any suggestions?  Could I have a bad keyboard on top of some oother problem?

Thanks in advannce for your help/

Monday, August 16, 2010 6:48 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your suggestions. 

It turns out that an errant keyboard was the real problem, something rather basic.  I guess that one or more keys were stuck forcing the boot menu and the nonsense entries for password.

Dr Cool

• Marked as answer by dr cool Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:42 AM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:42 AM

All replies