Build 14955 constant datastream to 204.79.197.213 eats up my data bundle and battery usage RRS feed

• Question

• 2 symptoms on build 14955 :

- Battery life went from easily 1-1.5 days to 3 to 5 hours max.

- Data is being used a lot, I could see the connection icon in use constantly.

So last night I also got a mail from my provider that I was at 80% of my bundle, something that never happens to me.

So this morning I setup a wireshark capture to figure out what is going on. It seems that the phone is constantly connecting to the 204.79.197.213 ip which is assigned to edge ? (msedge) or maybe onedrive ? It basically tries to connect at least once per second and the reply is always the same format. Connecting to this ip (https) in edge gives me a services aren't available / bad request (error 400), but that is not unexpected.

I'm resetting the phone to factory right now to see if that clears it up, without putting back the backup.

So if you are experiencing high battery drain, caused by edge in phone. maybe check if you have the same issue.

I'll update in a few hours or so if the reset to factory helped. (soft reset did not)

Arjan

Saturday, October 29, 2016 12:09 PM

All replies

• Hello,

For your information, if you go to www.ip2location.com and enter this IP, this IP binds to Microsoft.

Regards,

Gilles Tremblay
    MCSE Server | Desktop | Messaging | Collaboration | Productivity | Mobility | Cloud Platform and Infrastructure

Dont forget to mark as Answered if you found this post helpful.

DISCLAIMER: This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied, and confers no rights. Always test before!

Saturday, October 29, 2016 12:20 PM
  • That service actually does not provide a lot of info..

204.79.197.213  binds as reverse DNS as a-0011.a-msedge.net which looks as if it is edge related.

reverse domain searches give me : 1drv.ms & sdrv.ms which look onedrive/skydrive related.

I know it is Microsoft.  Question is why is it making so many calls. ??

Arjan

Saturday, October 29, 2016 1:04 PM
  • I assume that you tried to monitor locally what app is chewing your data, right?

Gilles Tremblay
    MCSE Server | Desktop | Messaging | Collaboration | Productivity | Mobility | Cloud Platform and Infrastructure

DISCLAIMER: This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties of any kind, either expressed or implied, and confers no rights. Always test before!

Saturday, October 29, 2016 1:22 PM
  • Factory reset did not help. I am still getting the constant stream.

Saturday, October 29, 2016 1:31 PM
  • Can you set your wireless network as metered ?

It's set as non-metered by default.

Regards,

Gilles Tremblay

Saturday, October 29, 2016 1:38 PM
  • The only thing that helps is to set the restrict background data to always. Then the stream stops.

The display for that function is broken in 104955 anyway since it will not hold the last selected option.

Saturday, October 29, 2016 1:52 PM
  • You should consider scan your mobile with an anti-virus and see if it founds something.

Gilles Tremblay

Saturday, October 29, 2016 2:00 PM
  • Forget last post, no anti-virus for windows phone...  Continue search...

Gilles Tremblay

Saturday, October 29, 2016 2:05 PM
  • This is after a complete factory reset, so I do not think it is related to a virus.

I think it is a bug. There are a lot of complaints about reduced battery performance on 104955.

Just check the feedback hub. I just think this is why.

Just do not know what causes it.

Turning the restrict background services off again makes the thing come back, although not immediately.

Saturday, October 29, 2016 3:02 PM
  • Ok.

I will continue my search and if I find something, I will post it here. If you find something, it would be great to let us know.

Best Regards,

Gilles Tremblay

Saturday, October 29, 2016 3:10 PM
  • I have the same problem of battery/data drain since Build 14955, it is coming from "settingsynchost" i can see in data usage, constatly uploading...

Just updated to 14959 and same problem, did a full reset and same problem yet...

restrict background services has absolutly no effect;

Would reverting to RS1 build using windows device recovery tool fix the problem? and will my bachup done in insider 14959 be recognised by build 14393 ?

Need my phone to be usable next week...

• Edited by xlr.info Saturday, November 5, 2016 3:35 PM
    Saturday, November 5, 2016 3:16 PM
  • For me the new build is much better. But if you need this phone to be that reliable, do not use insider preview. And certainly not the fast ring.

I would suggest to load up the phone recovery tool and reset it back to a normal build. Be aware that there were messages stating a change in backups, so it could be that backups are incompatible with the last 2 builds or so. So I suggest to start fresh.

Sunday, November 6, 2016 1:24 AM