CPU 100% Problem - when will it be fixed ? RRS feed

• Question

• Many people have experienced the problem of vista becoming confused by some aspect of the User profile and causing the explorer.exe to run the cpu at 100%. 

The only workaround to dat is to craete a new user profile and delete the old one.  This takes a lot of work (especially setting up the new e-mail accounts) and will lose a lot of useful settings and information.

I am getting very fed up of hving to to this every six weeks or so and am considering going back to XP.

This bug has been widely reported in various blogs and forums for over a year now.

Does anyone know either a) when a fix is coming, or b) where I put my old Windows XP instalation discs? :-)

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 8:47 AM

Answers

• Hi Trevor, thanks for the post. I'd like to inform you that such kind of performance issue can be caused by several factors. Have you tried Clean Boot while the issue occurs?

1. Click Start, type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotations) in the Search Bar and Press "Enter" to start the System Configuration Utility.

Note: Please click Continue if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

4. Restart the computer and test the issue.

Note: Clean Boot is a troubleshooting step. If some programs have been disabled, we can re-enable them later. If you see the System Configuration Utility, check the box of "Don't show this message" and then click "OK".

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment. If the issue disappears, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 8:15 AM