none
DNS Host (A) Record IP Address RRS feed

• Question

• Integrate Windows Server 2008 DNS Forward Lookup Zone Host (A) Record with that of an Online Dynamic Domain Name Services (DDNS) NO-IP update service. What I’m trying to accomplish is have the Windows DNS zone host (A) record IP change/update when the public IP address change on NO-IP services.

Is there a way to link the two together on a Windows 2008 R2 DNS Server?  

Wednesday, October 5, 2016 1:08 AM

Answers

• Hi Martiar,

Based on my understanding, you want records in Windows DNS zone to be updated when the records be updated on Online DDNS.

As far as I know, Windows DNS only support Secondary zone update from Primary zone when there's any update in primary zone with SOA records. There's no built-in configuration to support update from third-party zone. Maybe you need a script.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 6, 2016 2:18 AM
  • I wanted to come back and report on this post after several months of testing and using the solution that I final found and put in place that work consistently.

As noted in my original post I wanted my Dynamic Domain Name Services (DDNS) NO-IP update service and my Windows Server 2008 DNS Lookup Zone to update to my (DDNS) NO-IP update service public IP whenever my ISP dynamic public IP changed. The sole purpose was for access to an internal residential LAN Web server. I wanted my internal and external LAN users to use the same URL to access the internal LAN Web server.

The solution founded was to define a “Conditional Forwarder” on my Windows Server 2008 R2 DNS server. The forwarder pointed to an authoritative NO-IP update server.

• Marked as answer by Martiar01 Thursday, April 27, 2017 4:29 PM
    Saturday, April 22, 2017 7:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Martiar,

Based on my understanding, you want records in Windows DNS zone to be updated when the records be updated on Online DDNS.

As far as I know, Windows DNS only support Secondary zone update from Primary zone when there's any update in primary zone with SOA records. There's no built-in configuration to support update from third-party zone. Maybe you need a script.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 6, 2016 2:18 AM
  • I wanted to come back and report on this post after several months of testing and using the solution that I final found and put in place that work consistently.

As noted in my original post I wanted my Dynamic Domain Name Services (DDNS) NO-IP update service and my Windows Server 2008 DNS Lookup Zone to update to my (DDNS) NO-IP update service public IP whenever my ISP dynamic public IP changed. The sole purpose was for access to an internal residential LAN Web server. I wanted my internal and external LAN users to use the same URL to access the internal LAN Web server.

The solution founded was to define a “Conditional Forwarder” on my Windows Server 2008 R2 DNS server. The forwarder pointed to an authoritative NO-IP update server.

• Marked as answer by Martiar01 Thursday, April 27, 2017 4:29 PM
    Saturday, April 22, 2017 7:05 PM