How can I bookmark a Win 7 help topic (local machine Help Topics) RRS feed

• Question

• I thought I remember older versions of Windows having the ability to add a bookmark in the Local Help Topics which are found and may want to refer to again.

I had a problem today with my power settings and found the solution in Local Help Topics and because I had made no changes in my power settings (all of a sudden it shutting down after a period of inactivity), I may need to refer to this topic again if problems re-occur.

I have Win 7 Ultimate and I wanted to add a bookmark in the Local Help Topic so that I don't have to do the same search again - i.e. easier refer to a simple list of bookmarks. In the Help Topics menu (see print screen of what I am looking at below), I can't find an option to bookmark the result of a searched topic.

Other than printing the the topic, I don't see any other way to retain info about searches and to be able to get back to a topic found at a later date. At this point I have been printing to PDFs, but this requires creating a lot of new files, which would be unnecessary if bookmarking were available. By creating PDFs you end up with either a folder with a lot of files or a lot of subfolders - ie a lot of maintenance and harder to find the information again.

Is there a way to bookmark these topics or if not, are there any other solutions available to keep track of this information that would be easier to do than my current solution of PDFs?

This is what the menu I see looks like:

Thank you.... Sheryl

Sheryl Hagen

Friday, September 14, 2012 3:32 PM

Answers

• hey sheryl,

i know it used to be a lot easier when you could just select "bookmark" and call it a day. im sure you could get fancy with this, but here is a pretty easy method you could try.

1. open up help and support and browse to whatever article it is you want to bookmark

2. once there, right click somewhere in the page and choose the option "view source" dont panic when it opens a bunch of gibberish, its the HTML code to the page. it should open it up in notepad.

3. from there, click on File > Save As.  give it any name you would like and tag it with an .htm extension. so for example, Help.htm   than go head and save the file

4. you can now just double click the .htm file you saved and it should take you right to the local help and support article you had open

let me know if this works for you.

Regards,

Ross Kotter
    Systems Administrator
    Microsoft Certified
    Was This Post Helpful? Please Remember To Mark Post's As Helpful If It Assist's In Solving Your Issue.
    If This Post Provides You With An Answer To Your Problem Please Be Sure To Mark As Answer.

• Edited by R3K3 Friday, September 14, 2012 8:48 PM
    • Proposed as answer by tracycai Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:01 AM
    Friday, September 14, 2012 8:47 PM
  • Hi,

In addition, if you want to create a Bookmark to the same online information, use the online Help and Support. Go to this website: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features

a. Enter your search term in the box at the top of the page and press Enter (example: Search)

b. In the Change filter to drop down menu, select Windows 7 (Detected) and click the Go Button.

c. In the results, click the link for the information you want. On the resulting web page, right click and select Create Shortcut or Add to Favorites.

Hope the information helps.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by tracycai Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:20 AM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:19 AM

All replies

• hey sheryl,

i know it used to be a lot easier when you could just select "bookmark" and call it a day. im sure you could get fancy with this, but here is a pretty easy method you could try.

1. open up help and support and browse to whatever article it is you want to bookmark

2. once there, right click somewhere in the page and choose the option "view source" dont panic when it opens a bunch of gibberish, its the HTML code to the page. it should open it up in notepad.

3. from there, click on File > Save As.  give it any name you would like and tag it with an .htm extension. so for example, Help.htm   than go head and save the file

4. you can now just double click the .htm file you saved and it should take you right to the local help and support article you had open

let me know if this works for you.

Regards,

Ross Kotter
    Systems Administrator
    Microsoft Certified
    Was This Post Helpful? Please Remember To Mark Post's As Helpful If It Assist's In Solving Your Issue.
    If This Post Provides You With An Answer To Your Problem Please Be Sure To Mark As Answer.

• Edited by R3K3 Friday, September 14, 2012 8:48 PM
    • Proposed as answer by tracycai Tuesday, September 18, 2012 2:44 AM
    Friday, September 14, 2012 8:47 PM
  • Hi,

In addition, if you want to create a Bookmark to the same online information, use the online Help and Support. Go to this website: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features

a. Enter your search term in the box at the top of the page and press Enter (example: Search)

b. In the Change filter to drop down menu, select Windows 7 (Detected) and click the Go Button.

c. In the results, click the link for the information you want. On the resulting web page, right click and select Create Shortcut or Add to Favorites.

Hope the information helps.

Tracy Cai

TechNet Community Support

• Edited by tracycai Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:20 AM
    Tuesday, September 18, 2012 6:19 AM