none
DNS Management - Resolving a single hostname to external IP RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon. I have moderate experience with managing DNS and have a situation that can't quite figure out.

My environment has three DCs (all are DNS servers). I have a single domain (call it doma.ads) and have a single forward lookup zone setup up as primary. I also have two forwarders setup to my organizations external DNS server and my ISPs DNS server.

My organization has its own domain (call it domb.org) and my servers are to a degree completely separate. 

I need to have a single hostname (call it apple.domb.org) resolve to the external IP instead of the internal IP. The only way I found to do this is by adding domb.org as an additional primary forward lookup zone and adding an A record pointing apple to the external IP.

That worked but now I am running into issues with every internal client and server computer pointing to my internal DNS servers where they attempt to type in pear.domb.org or orange.domb.org (both are externally accessible) and they get "page can't be displayed". Even if I attempt to reach domb.org I get the same error. All of these are externally accessible websites.

How can I resolve this?

Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:16 PM

All replies

• Hi mgutier2,

>>That worked but now I am running into issues with every internal client and server computer pointing to my internal DNS servers where they attempt to type in pear.domb.org or orange.domb.org (both are externally accessible) and they get "page can't be displayed". Even if I attempt to reach domb.org I get the same error.

I am curious to see an nslookup and ping results, if you can post them, please.

If you can also post an unedited ipconfig /all, that would be very helpful in diagnosing this issue.

Please check if you could ping the IP address of domb.org to exclude the network connection problem.

Best Regards

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 21, 2017 7:56 AM
  • Hi mgutier2,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 24, 2017 6:09 AM